This week Simon and Nick get back together to talk about a variety of stories that for a change aren’t all “sources familiar with the matter say”. Regardless of that they do of course manage to wander off the topics and into other matters…
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Get 2 months on the Kino Premium Plan with offer code KINOWITHJOHNNEMO
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Recorded 9th July 2023
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | Pocket Casts | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | Listen Notes | Podchaser | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Direct Download | RSS
On this week’s show
- Spligosh in the Slack
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Nick’s church stream videos on You Tube
- Apple’s biggest Vision Pro headset production problem is the displays — AppleInsider
- Apple Vision Pro rumored to launch in the UK and Canada by end of 2024 — The Apple Post
- Apple invents Future Tunable Ophthalmic Lenses that could be fine-tuned to Change Visible Properties for HMDs & Smartglasses – Paatently Apple
- Apple’s Game Porting Tool sees MacBooks run Cyberpunk 2077 better than a PS4 — Laptop Mag
- Apple’s Game Porting Tool for macOS got its first update – and it’s a huge one — 9to5Mac
- How to use Personal Voice in iOS 17 and how it compares to an actual voice — AppleInsider
- Apple Partnership with Goldman Sachs Nears End, American Express Could Step In — AppleMagazine
- Apple is working on a new hearing test feature for AirPods Pro, but you’ll have to wait — TechRadar
- Spotify Subscribers No Longer Allowed to Pay Through App Store – MacRumors
- Intel prevented Apple from making a 15-inch MacBook Air: “It just did not say ‘Air’ to us” — 9to5Mac
- Workflow cofounder and Shortcuts engineering manager departs Apple
- Vision Pro parody ad featuring Stephen Fry banned from Apple Music
- Apple Music didnt ban track over Vision Pro parody, admits artist – [AppleInsider]
- Jony Ive’s discontinued Apple design book now goes for big bucks — Cult of Mac
- Designing the First Apple Macintosh: The Engineers’ Story — IEEE Spectrum
- Twitter isn’t showing tweets unless you’re logged in | Engadget
- Elon Musk claims Twitter’s new login requirement is a ‘temporary’ response to data scrapers | Engadget
- Twitter puts strict cap on how many tweets users can read each day | Engadget
- Twitter quietly backtracks on requiring users to log in to see tweets | Engadget
- Meta launches Instagram Threads in a direct challenge to Twitter — CNBC
TECHNOLOGY & SCIENCE
- Tooth Regrowing Drug Therapy Set For Human Clinical Trials Next Year — IFLScience
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Apple security and privacy engineers thwarted Pegasus. It was just one of their successes this year — Fast Company
- Taking Action: Apple Cracks Down on Predatory Lending Apps in India after Investigation — Grit Daily
- Iranian hackers targeted nuclear expert, ported Windows infection chain to Mac in a week – [IT Pro]
- How to lock your iPhone from your Apple Watch — BGR
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- ‘I don’t know whose bag it goes to’: Airport worker finds lost AirTag in plane’s luggage compartment, says it defeats their purpose — Daily Dot
- 12 macOS Tips New Mac Owners Should Know (Especially Former Windows Users) — SlashGear
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Somebody Figured out How Much Forrest Gump’s Apple Stock Is Worth Today (It’s a Lot) — Comicbook.com
- Jony Ive’s first post-Apple hardware project is a $60,000 turntable — Engadget
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured – Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.