Party Time (Oh no, sorry… Essential Work Meeting). Jeff Gamet, GazMaz, Patrice Brendamour and Mark join the regulars Nick, Simon and Jim to just chatter a bit and enjoy some Festive Cheer. With so many of us it got a bit chaotic at times, and thereâ€™s no real notes because… well â€“ you will find out! Merry Christmas Everybody! Back in the New Year…
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Get 2 months on the Kino Premium Plan with offer code KINOWITHJOHNNEMO
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Recorded 20th December 2021
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | Pocket Casts | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | Listen Notes | Podchaser | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Direct Download | RSS
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Nickâ€™s church stream videos on You Tube
- @jgamet on Twitter and Instagram
- Appears frequently on The British Tech Networkâ€™s Big Show and Mac Show, MacVoices, In Touch With iOS and ‘occasionally’ elsewhere.
- @casual_kitchen on Twitter
- Find all her stuff at ThePatrice.com
- Host of Foodie Flashback
- Appears frequently on The British Tech Networkâ€™s Big Show and Mac Show, and In Touch With iOS
- @oceanspeed, @essentialapple and @essentialmac on Twitter
- Puts weird Van Life Stuff (including cooking with Gousto) on YouTube
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- From Allister (@zkarj) I have an album in iCloud Photos with just under 600 photos, but around a dozen of them would simply not download to my iPhone or iPad. I checked and they are all visible both on my Mac and in iCloud.com (http://icloud.com/). Iâ€™ve seen this before and cured it by removing the photos (using the Mac) and adding them back again, but I detest this approach, particularly when they are in an album. Tonight I thought to myselfâ€¦ â€œwhat happens if I edit one of the photos on the Mac?â€ So I tried it. I goosed the brilliance up by 0.01 and what do you know, it made it download to my phone! Thinking I had the upper hand I then clicked â€œRevert to originalâ€ so my photo would be unsullied by even this minute adjustment. I was blown away when my iPhone un-downloaded the photo! Having resigned myself to this +0.01 brilliance, I set about doing the rest, and that is when a slip of the mouse showed me something curious. Now all of the recalcitrant photos have had their brilliance sliders adjusted from the original 0.00 toâ€¦ -0.00.
NEMOâ€™S HARDWARE STORE (1:03:24)
- Another Nemo PRODUCT OF THE YEAR ov21 by thinksound premium over ear, studio monitor headphones â€“ $400 USD / Â£310 UKP Direct (not available on Amazon)
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured â€“ Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy â€“ a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy Jâ€™s security tips.
- Ghostery â€“ protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login â€“ Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy â€“ Disposable email addresses
- Sudo â€“ get up to 9 â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / Â£2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail â€“ end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test â€“ simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator â€“ so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores â€“ free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.