Simonâ€™s Mac is still in â€œdry dockâ€ having failed a second time exactly as before – apparently it shipped out from the Apple Repair Centre earlier today as we record, so forgive us once again if the sound isnâ€™t as slick as we like to hope we are ;D… Anyway this week Simon and Nick are joined by slack member @dougee (Andy J) our resident computer forensics specialist and unofficial security guru. [Sorry the show is late this week but Iâ€™ve had some personal life stuff going on that took up a fair bit of time – Simon]
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishmanâ€™s book Take Control of Securing Your Mac can be found at takecontrolbooks.com along with many other titles by him, Joe Kissell, Jeff Carlson and others.
- Steve at [Geeks Corner ]https://www.geekscorner.info) has a podcast which is usually a 5-15 min show of his thoughts on tech. Also keep an eye on his site or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk to watch for regular giveaways.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Recorded 16th August 2021
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | Pocket Casts | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | Listen Notes | Podchaser | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Direct Download | RSS
On this weekâ€™s show:
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Nickâ€™s church stream videos â€“ You Tube
ANDY J (AKA @DOUGEE)
- In the Slackroom
- Apple SVP Craig Federighi responds to confusion over iOS 15 iCloud child safety policies in new interview â€“ 9to5Mac
- New U.S. Antitrust Bill Would Require Apple and Google to Allow Third-Party App Stores and Sideloading â€“ MacRumors
- Apple Says Fix Planned for ‘You Do Not Have Permission to Open the Application’ Error When Using a Scanner on Mac â€” MacRumors
- Nvidia faked an entire press conference with a CG CEO â€“ CNet
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Poly Network hacker returns nearly all $610M in stolen assets â€” AppleInsider
- Night Terrors: Ransomware Campaigns Are Exploiting PrintNightmare â€” PCMag
- Ransomware: Now attackers are exploiting Windows PrintNightmare vulnerabilities â€” ZDNet
- 1Password 8 for Mac With Improved Interface, Performance, and More Now Available in Early Access â€“ MacRumors
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured â€“ Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy â€“ a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy Jâ€™s security tips.
- Ghostery â€“ protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login â€“ Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy â€“ Disposable email addresses
- Sudo â€“ get up to 9 â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / Â£2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail â€“ end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test â€“ simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator â€“ so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores â€“ free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.