Recorded 4th October 2020
This week Nick and Simon are joined by Mark (who has some trouble with his mixer so unfortunately his sound isn’t as good as it should be – I did what I could to level it up – thankyou very much Chris’ Dynamic Compressor – but in parts he is a bit faint or clipped) and we wander around the what is and isn’t happening in the week in Apple.
This week’s show art was drawn by Jim – on his iPad using GoodNotes and the Apple Pencil.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishman’s Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here and now he has also released Take Control of Zoom Essentials free as well.
- Steve at Geeks Corner has restarted his podcast which is a 5-15 min show of his thoughts on tech. Also keep an eye on his site or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk to watch for regular giveaways.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if you’re interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- @oceanspeed, @essentialapple and @essentialmac on Twitter
- Puts Essential Apple related stuff on YouTube
- Co-host of the The Watching Men Podcast with Karl Madden
- Tim Cook Could Earn One Million More Apple Shares by 2025 – The Mac Observer
- Apple launches the new detailed Apple Maps experience in the United Kingdom, Look Around in select cities – 9to5 Mac
- Google Project Zero Researcher to Join Apple to Improve iOS Security – iPhone in Canada
- Apple releases new macOS Mojave 10.14.6 supplemental update with important bug fixes – 9to5 Mac
- How to Fix the iOS 14 Bug That Causes Major Battery Drain – Gizmodo
- Why Your Next iPhone Might Come Without Any Apps – Inc.
- Pre-installed Apple apps could be banned in Europe – 9to5 Mac
- Apple Card mislabels AT&T bill as ‘Waters, Hardy & Co’, confusing users – iMore
- Apple says Apple Card billing mixup fixed, but tax firm still inundated with phone calls – AppleInsider
- Apple catches electronics recycler illegally reselling over 100,000 iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches – 9to5 Mac
- Apple kept iPhone recycling scandal secret for months – Apple 3.0
- Judge Excoriates Epic’s Dishonesty in Hearing Regarding Lawsuit Against Apple – Daring Fireball
- Microsoft suffers second global outage in a week – IT Pro
- Windows on ARM is about to get lots of apps thanks to new x64 emulation – The Verge
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Blacklight – The Markup
NEMO’S HARDWARE STORE (28:49)
- Casely Tempered Glass iPhone Screen Protector – $10 US
- Casely Power 2.0 – $75 US
- FI Heart Tie Dye iPhone Case & Cover – The one John reviewed
- On site discounts plus free shipping available on orders over $20 US / $50 worldwide
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.