Recorded 26th January 2020
This week Nick and Jim join me as we ponder a decade of iPad, gasp at Apple’s awe inspiring revenues, consider whether Jony jumped ship or got pushed overboard, wonder if subscriptions are a viable long term business strategy and talk about whether or not the EU should demand everyone uses the same charge cable… Plus new listener feedback and don’t forget there is still time to put your name in the hat to win a year’s subscription to FotoMagico for iPad.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Oliver has given us 2x One Year Subscriptions to the new FotoMagico for iPad to give away. Usual thing – email firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) and winners will be drawn out of the hat in about 3 weeks
- Get Donny Yankellow’s 2FunDads iMessage stickers for FREE
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if you’re interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- A decade of iPad: 10 of the biggest moments in its history – Apple Magazine
- Apple Earnings Report – Apple
- Lot’s of graphs to understand it – Mac Stories
- Apple, Amazon were rare bright spots in a shrinking tablet market — Engadget
- Apple engineers propose a way to make using two-factor texts easier – Engadget
- New EU common charger regulation might force Apple to adopt USB-C over lightning cable — News Landed
- Apple has shuttered its Chinese stores — Apple 3.0
- Apple releases iOS 13.3.1 with privacy improvements and bug fixes — The Apple Post
- 10.15.3 posted too.
- Did Jony Ive jump or was he pushed? — ZDNet
- Apple Invention Details a Prescription Lens System for a Future Head-Mounted Display Device – Patently Apple
- Comment: I don’t think subscription apps are a sustainable business model — 9to5 Mac
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Leaked Documents Expose the Secretive Market for Your Web Browsing Data – Vice
- Avast shutters Jumpshot unit in wake of data privacy concerns – IT Pro
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Pixel Privacy – Learn How to Protect Your Online Privacy The Easy Way! – PixelPrivacy
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- World’s largest flying aircraft Airlander 10 just became bigger — Business Insider
NEMO’S HARDWARE STORE
- Nemo is taking a break for a couple of weeks while the store restocks
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.