Recorded 29th November 2020
This week for show 200 Mark takes the chair and original co-host Karl Madden of the Mac & Forth Show joins Simon, and Donny to talk about new Macs, HomePod Mini, iPhone 12 Mini, Windows on M1 and more.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishman’s Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here and now he has also released Take Control of Zoom Essentials free as well.
- Steve at Geeks Corner has restarted his podcast which is a 5-15 min show of his thoughts on tech. Also keep an eye on his site or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk to watch for regular giveaways.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if you’re interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- Host of the Mac & Forth Show
- @oceanspeed, @essentialapple and @essentialmac on Twitter
- Puts Essential Apple related stuff on YouTube
- @rtteachr on Twitter
- Find his work at hedgehogalley.com
- Books in Apple Book Store
- DesignBundles.net as Skrbly
- Skrbly Studio on YouTube
- Skrbly Store
- Leo the Lonely Guitar
- Donny’s Classes on Outschool.com for kids 7-18
- Skrbly Studio on Etsy for iOS custom icon sets
- M1 shiny talk…
- Dev successfully runs ARM Windows virtualization on M1 Mac, says it’s ‘pretty snappy – 9to5 Mac
- Developer Successfully Virtualizes Windows for Arm on M1 Mac – Mac Rumors
- Amazon Sidewalk comes to UK – BBC News (or doesn’t… actually)
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- iPhone ‘Weak Security’ Wi-Fi Warning: Here’s What It Means– Forbes
- Spotify Starts A Rolling Reset Of Passwords Following Security Issues – Ubergizmo
- Sophos notifies customers of data exposure after database misconfiguration – ZDNet
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- iMazing developers offer “Silicon” app for free; a tool for detecting supported architecture for Mac apps – Apple World Today
- Capto Cyber Monday 45% off at time of recording…
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Pock – Display macOS Dock in Touch Bar
- Amazon Smile donate to charity as you buy. Go to smile.amazon.(your local Amazon)
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.