Recorded 22nd September 2019
After a couple of weeks or more of guests and not bothering to look at the news Simon is joined by Bart Busschots of the Let’s Talk podcasts, Taming the Terminal, Programming by Stealth, Nosillacast and more, to poke a stick at a few things that caught their interest over the last couple of weeks. Including the Checkm8 vulnerability, and a video from the Apple archive that is an absolute gem.
Also in case you missed it last time BeLight Software kindly gifted us four licences for Amadine to give away last week so get your entries in for your chance to win a copy!
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- We have four licences for BeLight’s new vector application Amadine to give away. Email the show on email@example.com to put your name in the hat. Winners will be announced in 3 weeks time!
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
- Get Donny Yankellow’s 2FunDads iMessage stickers for FREE
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has started up a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if you’re interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- Find all his stuff at bartb.ie
- The Let’s Talk Apple and Let’s Talk Photography podcasts are at Let’s-Talk.ie and also of course on the MyMac page
- Follow him on Twitter @bbusschots
- A regular contributor to the NosillaCast
- Apple Arcade goes live and Donny started a Twitter account to do mini game reviews as he tests them out. @AarcadeReviews and a website Aarcade Reviews
- Apple lets you extend your iPhone warranty forever – Mashable
- Apple just turned its extended warranty for the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch into a monthly subscription – The Verge
- Allister Jenks (@zkarj) decided to start a new “quick take” series on (one of) his blog(s), inspired by Scott Willsey’s WTF Weekly. And I quote “sometimes I will think of Mark when having a good old rant” and it will go by the name of Echoes
- Windows 10 problems are ruining Microsoft’s reputation – and the damage can’t be underestimated — TechRadar
- Pocket Casts is making its podcast app free and launching a subscription service – The Verge
- Amazon stuff – The Verge [I still say it should have been the Echo Microdot!!!! – Simon]
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- New Checkm8 jailbreak released for all iOS devices running A5 to A11 chips – ZDNet
- At least it is a “hands on” vulnerability and according to ZDNet it isn’t persistent –
- Cloudflare’s free Warp VPN now available for all users – 9to5 Mac
- Cloudflare explained. Not a true VPN but will protect you on public WiFi – Cloudflare
- Ghostery Midnight – Giving you control of trackers at the device level. Coming Fall 2019 – Ghostery
- Firefox is testing a VPN, and you can try it right now – The Verge
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- This is worth the watch… you won’t see Tim Cook doing this on the stage… The Macintosh Portable Introduction – September 20, 1989
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Gruber on the Samuel L Jackson voice for the Amazon Echo Celebrity Voices Coming to Alexa: Replacing Alexa’s voice with Samuel L. Jackson’s? With an explicit option? Hell yes, sign me up – The Verge
Nemo’s Hardware Store (55:55)
- Smartish iPhone Cases. Wallet cases, slim cases, grippy cases, tough cases… for iPhones 5 though to 11 Pro Max and priced from $12 US.
- Twelve South Journal for iPad Pro: Genuine leather case for iPad Pro protection – $100 US & $120 US. Amazon £99 UK / $100 US & $120 US
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Essential Apple Podcast 149: “Let’s Talk” … to Bart BusschotsAlso a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.