Recorded 25th August 2018
This week I am joined once again by Mark. We do our best to avoid all the rumours and speculation about the upcoming (yet to be officially announced) Apple autumn event and exactly what hardware etc will be released to focus on â€œactual storiesâ€ but somehow we end up at Business Insider and Mark loses his cool over one of their stories…
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter! We can now also be found on Spotify, Soundcloud and even YouTube.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo â€“ Get up to 9 free â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity.
- ProtonMail â€“ End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator â€“ So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire â€“ Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
On this weekâ€™s show:
- Twitter @Oceanspeed and @essentialmac
- Apple donates $1M to Kerala flood relief efforts â€“ Apple Insider
- Apple Abandoning Back to My Mac in Mojave â€“ TidBITS
- Apple axes Back to My Mac in macOS Mojave â€“ Apple Insider
- Apple could lose one of its highest-grossing iOS apps as Netflix looks to bypass iTunes billing â€“ 9to5 Mac
- Techpinions Podcast on the subject â€“ Techpinions
- Apps & developers hit by day-long Apple CloudKit outage â€“ Apple Insider
- Apple will be making a mistake if it no longer offers a low-cost Mac Mini â€“ 9to5 Mac
- You might have seen this on Twitter but Oliver Breidenbach is part of a roundtable talking â€œHas Apple abandoned professional Mac users?â€ â€“ ZDNet
- Airmail 3 Exploit Instantly Steals Info from Apple Users â€“ Threatpost
- Apple removed Facebookâ€™s Onavo from the App Store for gathering app data â€“ TechCrunch
- Apple Forces Facebook VPN App Out of iOS Store for Stealing Users’ Data â€“ Hacker News
- 12 mistakes that can get your data hacked â€“ and how to avoid them â€“ ProtonVPN
- Surface Go running Windows 10 Home in S Mode â€“ ZDNet
- MacJim’s take: I went into John Lewis to have a look at the new Surface Go from Microsoft as it piqued my interest as a device to use on the go (sic) for editing images on a desktop editing software. I can say, itâ€™s a really nice device to hold, light and as near as damn it the same as my iPad Pro in feel/size. Didnâ€™t get to see it working as too many folk had tried to unlock it without the admin password… great price and size though_
- In relation to last week’s talk about ARM – can I point you to the Techpinions Podcast NVidia Turing, ARM CPUs, AMD Threadripper, Intel AI. (Sorry the sound quality on this one isn’t great… have written to Tim Bajarin about it and he tells me something went wrong with the recording he wasn’t aware of until later. I commiserated with him – it is a terrible blow when something like that happens. However it is well worth a listen)
- What a modern â€œcar crashâ€ looks like Twitter
- 5 myths about iPhone battery life you might mistakenly believe â€” and what you should do instead â€“ Business Insider
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
WORTH-A-CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Add macOS Preference Panes to Your Dock For Quick Access â€“ How to Geek
- Scott Wilsey points us to the Brydge 12.9 Series II Keyboard for iPad Pro via Six Colors
Nemoâ€™s Hardware Store (38:37)
- Solo New York Boyd Backpack â€“ $125 US Direct
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.