Recorded 18th February 2018
This week saw another deadly school shooting in the US and whilst we don’t want to dwell on that event we felt it appropriate to just mention our horror and sorrow at another senseless tragedy
Meanwhile we are joined by the esteemed Jeff Gamet, Managing Editor atÂ The Mac ObserverÂ and co-host of theÂ Apple Context Machine PodcastÂ to talk about the HomePod, â€œwhite-ring gateâ€, Twitter killing its Mac client and more.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- HomePods leaving a white ring on wooden surfaces â€“Â The Verge
NEVERÂ place anything directly onto polished/waxed/oiled wood surfaces. There is a reason your grandmother insisted on cork backed tablemats and coasters etc and never let you put stuff on her dining table – and it wasnâ€™t bloodymindedness!
Maybe Apple should have included a warning like â€œavoid placing HomePod directly into polished/waxed/oiled wood surfacesâ€ because perhaps not everyone has/had grandmothers/mothers like me who drummed that stuff into me from year dot.
- And it isn’t just the HomePod… Sonos One Speakers Also Damage Wood â€“Â Tom’s Guide
- The HomePod power cable can be removed, but you probably shouldn’t [Video] â€“Â 9to5 Mac
- Facebook’s “Protect” feature is apparently basically spyware (like who’d have thunk that?) â€“Â IT Pro
Note: I have a feeling this story has come up before…
- Twitter discontinues its Mac desktop app after years of spotty support â€“Â The Verge
- Macjim sends us. TwelveSouthÂ Surface Pad for iPhoneÂ – $50 US
- And from Dougee Hands On: Keymand 1.1 brings touch-screen options to your Mac from a connected iPad â€“Â Apple Insider
- And finally courtesy of Bryan on TMO’s ACM… Pop Up Greetings Cards for all occasions â€“Â LovepopÂ – $10 US to about $15 US
Nemo’s Hardware StoreÂ (38:22)
- WoolnutÂ Leather Wallet Cases
- WoolnutÂ MacBook Leather Sleeve
- 1More Triple Driver Over-Ear HeadphonesÂ â€“ $250 US / Â£130 UK â€“Â Amazon
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
- Also a bigÂ SHOUT OUTÂ to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using ourÂ Amazon Affiliate LinkÂ so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining ourÂ PatreonÂ or using theÂ Pinecast Tips JarÂ (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And aÂ HUGEÂ thank you to the patrons who already do.