Recorded 4th February
This week Apple quietly emasculated macOS Server, removed Telegram from the App Store for a little bit and, allegedly, pushed back some new iOS features to focus more on reliability and performance. Meanwhile Open Source turned 20 years old, a Florida man gets a mind controlled robotic prosthetic arm and British MP Matt Hancock, Digital Secretary, has a social app that is a privacy horror.
To discuss all that and more Mark and I are joined by Scott Willsey of the Donâ€™t Nihongo it Alone podcast, the Not Speeding in Reverse Podast, and the recently revived Pocket Sized Podcast.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
iTunesÂ |Â OvercastÂ |Â Google PlayÂ |Â Direct DownloadÂ |Â RSSÂ |Â Pinecast
On this weekâ€™s show:
- Apparently HomePodÂ shouldÂ work with iCloud music library even without Apple Music service â€“Â 9to5 Mac
- Apple whispers farewell to macOS Server â€“Â The Register
- iPhone â€˜Super Cycleâ€™ Pronounced Dead â€“Â Bloomberg
- Telegram removed from Appleâ€™s App Store due to â€˜inappropriate contentâ€™ â€“Â The Verge
itâ€™s back again now by the wayâ€¦
- Open source turns 20 years old, looks to attract normal people â€“Â The Register
- Libre Office 6.0 released â€“Â Softpedia
- NVIDIA proves the cloud can replace a high-end gaming rig â€“Â Engadget
- Vivaldi Browser 1.14 launches vertical reader mode â€“Â Vivaldi
- Florida Man Becomes First Person to Live With Advanced Mind-Controlled Robotic Arm â€“Â Futurism
IN THE NEWS
- What a Hancock-up: MPâ€™s social network app is a privacy disaster â€“Â The Register
A couple of privacy/security focussed tools this week courtesy of our very own Slackroom digital forensics expert @dougee
- SudoApp lets you create multiple Sudo identities for free â€“ each with its own custom phone number and email address â€“Â IOS App Store
- Need to generate a fake online identity? â€“Â Fake Name Generator
Nemoâ€™s Hardware StoreÂ (xx:xx)
- John Nemo is stricken with Laryngitis so no report from the Hardware Store this week I am afraid.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
EssentialApple.comÂ /Â PinecastÂ /Â TwitterÂ /Â FacebookÂ /Â Google PlusÂ / SlackÂ â€“ ask us for an invite any way you can get hold of us.
- Also a bigÂ SHOUT OUTÂ to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldnâ€™t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using ourÂ Amazon Affiliate LinkÂ so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining ourÂ PatreonÂ or using theÂ Pinecast Tips JarÂ (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And aÂ HUGEÂ thank you to the patrons who already do.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.