I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s when the arcade was the place to go to play the latest and greatest arcade games. We had PacMan, Frogger, Ms. PacMan, etc. If you’re like me, you still like those games better some of the 100 button games you can play on today’s consoles. Well, you don’t need an arcade or a console to play some of these classics. You only need your Mac and the Internet.
Here’s a list of some classic game clones that are totally free- no quarters required.:
1. Pac The Man by McSebi Software – http://www.mcsebi.com/pacx.php– Newly updated, this is the best PacMan and Ms. PacMan clone out there. You can even make your own levels.
2. Arcade Invaders– A great Space Invaders Clone, but with a different look.
3. FlashFrog by Raul Silva– http://www.silva.com/flashfrog/– You guessed it- Frogger.
4. Retro Arcade by Blorktronics – http://www.blorktronics.com/games/retroarcade/ – A collection of old school games including Space Invaders, Breakout, and Pongclones.
5. Finally, Critical Mass by Frank Becker– http://criticalmass.sourceforge.net/ – For the Gyrussfans
Know of any free arcade clones out there of classic games? Post them below. Personally I’m still looking for something that brings back Zaxxon and Berzerk.