Happy New Year! It is 2024 (even though it was 1976 a few months ago wasn’t it?) Anyway, Simon and Nick finally get back together after the Holiday Season (and a few other things) got in the way… Chatter covers the Vision Pro, a bunch of security stories, a nuclear battery, and lots more, as always seems to happen.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Recorded 14th January 2024
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show
- Spligosh in the Slack
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Nick’s church stream videos on You Tube
- Apple Vision Pro demos will include scanning your glasses to identify your prescription – The Verge
- U.S. appeals court upholds tribunal decisions in Apple-Masimo patent dispute – Reuters
- I tried Apples alternative iPhone interface in iOS 17 here’s what happened – Tom’s Guide
- It’s official: Apple’s Find My network now lets you track twice as many devices – Tech Radar
- UKs digital markets regulator gives flavor of rebooted rules coming for – TechCrunch
- Apple security releases – Apple Support
- Now that Wi-Fi 7 is official, let’s see the return of AirPort – iMore
TECHNOLOGY & SCIENCE
- Qi2 Wireless Charging: Everything you need to know – Laptop Mag
- EU antitrust chief meets Apple, Alphabet, and Qualcomm chiefs – Reuters
- Groundbreaking nuclear battery produces 50 years of power without needing to be recharged – Brighter Side News
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Operation Triangulation – Securelist
- 4-year campaign backdoored iPhones using possibly the most advanced exploit ever – Ars Technica
- Apple admits to secretly giving governments push notification data – Ars Technica
- Apple Magic Keyboards are at risk from security attacks, update now – TechRadar
- AirDrop ‘Cracked’ By Chinese Authorities to Identify Senders – MacRumors
- Apple ignored warnings that AirDrop had a vulnerability that China learned to exploit – Techspot
VINNE & THE SQUIRRELS VS THE ANALYSTS
- iOS 17.3 Beta drops ‘Pro’ from ‘Apple Vision’ could another model be on the way already? – iMore
- Apple to release new Mac Studio and Mac Pro this year, new ‘M3 Ultra’ – The Apple Post
- Samsung’s Apple Vision Pro competitor might be one-third the price – Android Central
NEMO’S HARDWARE STORE (47:34)
- Scosche MagicMount Travel Folding 2-in-1 Wireless Charger – Amazon $75 USD / Not currently on Amazon UK
- Scosche PowerVolt PD35 Dual-Port USB-C Charger $50 USD direct, not currently available on Amazon
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured – Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.