Another super late release of a show with Simon and Nick (really have to find a more efficient way to process the show notes…, not sure Simon can do anything to fix his busy life schedules :D). Anyway – here it is with a variety of stories again mostly avoiding stuff from “people close to the matter say”. Oh and a bunch of car chatter in the Aftershow/Preshow segment!
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Get 2 months on the Kino Premium Plan with offer code KINOWITHJOHNNEMO
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Recorded 13th August 2023
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | Pocket Casts | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | Listen Notes | Podchaser | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Direct Download | RSS
On this week’s show
- Spligosh in the Slack
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Nick’s church stream videos on You Tube
- Apple is donating to Maui and Hawaii relief efforts – iMore
- A year with Dynamic Island on iPhone 14 Pro: A notch by any other name – iMore
- iPhone 14 Pro users are already seeing battery health tank – what to do now – Tom’s Guide
- iPhone 15 might not be the only Apple handset getting USB-C upgrade – Tom’s Guide
- Apple may be adding USB-C charging to older iPhones now, too – ZDNET
- Launchpad Doesn’t Compete for Longtime Mac Users – TidBITS
- Do You Use It? Stage Manager Sees Weak Adoption – TidBITS
- Apple TV+’s ‘Frog and Toad’ not viewable in the U.S. – AppleInsider
- Vancouver Car Thieves Outsmart Woman’s Hidden AirTag – iPhone in Canada Blog
- Your iPhone’s ‘End call’ button is moving, and it might be weird for a while – ZDNET
- Apple cuts classic iTunes Movie Trailers app, but it has a new home – TrustedReviews
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- An Apple Malware-Flagging Tool Is ‘Trivially’ Easy to Bypass – WIRED
- Google rolls out unknown Apple AirTag tracker alerts for Android devices – check yours now – EFTM
VINNE & THE SQUIRRELS VS THE ANALYSTS
- M3 roadmap speculation hints at next Apple Silicon generation chips – AppleInsider
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- 10 Most Underrated iPhone Features You Should Be Using – SlashGear
- 7 things you need to do before reselling your iPhone – Tom’s Guide
- How To Uninstall Apps On Apple CarPlay – SlashGear
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured – Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.