We hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving and a Happy Hannuka to those who will be celebrating that… Not much news really but Nick and Simon find a few bits to natter about including the ultra rare WristMac and AR replacing the iPhone in the future and a few other bits and pieces.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Get 2 months on the Kino Premium Plan with offer code KINOWITHJOHNNEMO
- Affinity Sale – 30% off most stock, 50% off iPad apps
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Recorded 28th November 2021
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | Pocket Casts | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | Listen Notes | Podchaser | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Direct Download | RSS
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Nickâ€™s church stream videos â€“ YouTube
- Apple delays support for storing your ID in the Wallet app until 2022 â€“ 9to5Mac
- Kuo: Apple plans to replace the iPhone with AR in 10 years â€“ 9to5Mac
- Russia demands foreign tech companies open offices in the country â€“ Sky News
- “Not currently available”: Turks cant buy iPhones after lira plunge â€“ Reuters
- Seiko WristMac, aka the ‘first Apple Watch,’ will look weird as hell on your wrist â€“ Cult of Mac
- Seiko WristMac â€“ the first Apple Watch in 1988 â€“ up for auction â€“ 9to5Mac
- Helpful Mac app sends alerts when new Apple devices are in stock â€“ Cult of Mac
- BT to axe traditional landline phones sparking fears for millions of elderly â€“ Daily Record
- 12ft â€“ Hop any paywall â€“ 12ft
- Windows 11 could come to M1 Macs in the future â€“ BGR
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- GoDaddy discloses recent security breach that exposed 1.2 million accounts â€“Engadget
- Huge fines and a ban on default passwords in new UK law â€“ BBC News
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- The key combo to lock the screen is Control + Command + Q – I looked it up iin the Apple Menu (Duh!) Or as Alister pointed out press the Touch ID/Power Button
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
NEMOâ€™S HARDWARE STORE (26:46)
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured â€“ Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy â€“ a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy Jâ€™s security tips.
- Ghostery â€“ protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login â€“ Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy â€“ Disposable email addresses
- Sudo â€“ get up to 9 â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / Â£2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail â€“ end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test â€“ simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator â€“ so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores â€“ free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.