Nick and Simon get together once again to consider Appleâ€™s â€œchild safety initiativeâ€ which has blown up a huge debate this week, scratch their heads over what Microsoftâ€™s 365 Cloud PCs actually offer and general wander around the stories that caught their eye over the last week or so.
Sorry there are no chapter markers this week, the morning after we recorded I opened up the M1 MBA to do the edit and it was black screen and unresponsive (again)… Itâ€™s back off to Apple once more (sad face).
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishmanâ€™s book Take Control of Securing Your Mac can be found at takecontrolbooks.com along with many other titles by him, Joe Kissell, Jeff Carlson and others.
- Steve at [Geeks Corner ]https://www.geekscorner.info) has a podcast which is usually a 5-15 min show of his thoughts on tech. Also keep an eye on his site or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk to watch for regular giveaways.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Recorded 8th August 2021
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | Pocket Casts | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | Listen Notes | Podchaser | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Direct Download | RSS
On this weekâ€™s show:
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Nickâ€™s church stream videos â€“ You Tube
- Appleâ€™s New â€˜Child Safetyâ€™ Initiatives, and the Slippery Slope â€“ Daring Fireball
- Apple will scan photos stored on iPhones and iCloud for child abuse images â€“ The Verge
- Apple Addresses CSAM Detection Concerns, Will Consider Expanding System on Per-Country Basis â€“ MacRumors
- FAQ about Apples Expanded Protections for Children â€“ TidBITS
- Apple’s Plan to “Think Different” About Encryption Opens a Backdoor to… â€“ EFF
- Apple successfully overturns $300 million patent infringement case â€“ 9to5Mac
- Apple mistakenly promotes scam apps in App Store feature â€“ 9to5Mac
- Apple Arcade hits 200 games with original and classic titles in its catalog â€“ 9to5Mac
- You Can Now Buy That Touch ID Magic Keyboard Separately â€“ The Mac Observer
- Seminal mobile phone scientist Ken Cattermole who turned analogue waves into digital code â€“ The Independent
- Affinity Creative Apps Gain Memory Optimization Update Making Some Tasks Up to 10 Times Quicker â€“ Mac Rumors
- This in-browser â€˜Kid Pix 1.0â€™ is the perfect bump of internet nostalgia â€“ Input
- Twitter Partnering With AP And Reuters to Tackle Misinformation â€“ The Mac Observer
- Microsoft suspends Windows 365 trials â€“ IT PRO
- Microsoft shut down its browser-based Windows PC trial after one day â€“ The Independent
- Allister â€“ I was thinking Windows 365 may be an answer to replacing my wife’s Mac as she needs one Windows app so is stuck on Intel. Then I saw the pricing! For a few months worth of rental you can buy a bloody PC!
- Donny â€“ â€œThe virtual computer does not support apps, but can let users log remotely into any compatible application on Windows 10 or the upcoming Windows 11 operating systems.â€ So you have to be able to access a machine running windows with the apps?
- Corsair Says New DDR5 RAM Will Require Much Better Cooling â€“ Digital Trends
- Keeping old computers going costs government Â£2.3bn a year, says report â€“ BBC
- Amazon makes amends after backlash for destroying millions of unsold products â€“ Android Authority
- Yikes, Firefox Lost 46 Million Users in the Last Three Years â€“ Gizmodo
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Three random words better than more complex passwords â€“ GCHQ â€“ Evening Standard
- iMazing app updated with tool to easily detect Pegasus spyware on iPhone â€“ 9to5Mac
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- 10 Cool Tech hacks â€“ USA Today
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- How to set NASA mission audio as your iPhone ringtone â€“ 9to5Mac
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured â€“ Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy â€“ a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy Jâ€™s security tips.
- Ghostery â€“ protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login â€“ Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy â€“ Disposable email addresses
- Sudo â€“ get up to 9 â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / Â£2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail â€“ end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test â€“ simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator â€“ so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores â€“ free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.