Recorded 11th July 2021
Simon is joined once again by Nick, Jim (who appears to be demolishing his living room in the background) and Steve (who barely gets a word in) and they talk about a host of weird and wonderful stories – including why setting up an iPad isnâ€™t as simple as it could be, an ancient â€˜Easter Eggâ€™, resurrecting 35 year old files from the dead, the Audacity furore and more…
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishmanâ€™s book Take Control of Securing Your Mac can be found at takecontrolbooks.com along with many other titles by him, Joe Kissell, Jeff Carlson and others.
- Steve at Geeks Corner has a podcast which is usually a 5-15 min show of his thoughts on tech. Also keep an eye on his site or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk to watch for regular giveaways.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | Pocket Casts | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | Listen Notes | Podchaser | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Direct Download | RSS
On this weekâ€™s show:
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Nickâ€™s church stream videos â€“ You Tube
- Runs the Geeks Corner website
- Produces the Geeks Corner podcast
- @GeekCorner_uk on Twitter
- M1 MacBook battery life so good Apple thought it was a bug â€“ 9to5Mac
- Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak Declares Support for Right to Repair â€“ Vice
- 12 Tips & Tricks For HomePod & HomePod mini â€“ Forbes
- iOS 14.7 beta 5 fixes annoying iPhone bug that disables Wi-Fi connectionsâ€“ BGR
- â€œSo I took what is my son’s old computer and added an account for my wife and was going to delete his account. For some reason deleting an old account never seems to work right. After several hours I still could not close system preferences because it said it was deleting the account. I decided just to wipe the computer and start fresh. I did that and during set up it asked for the previous account password I set up before wiping the computer??? Never seen that before. Wouldn’t that be gone since I wiped it? Entered the password and it worked fine, but kind of strange?â€ â€“ Donny
- YouTuber takes a broken iPhone 8 and turns it into a working faux iPhone 12 â€“ iMore
- Simonâ€™s recovered 35 year old files… A tale
- Microsoft Surface Neo Is Taking So Long to Come Out that Its Processor Got Discontinued â€“ ReviewGeek
- Karateka upside down â€“ YouTube
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Microsoft issues emergency Windows patch to fix critical â€˜PrintNightmareâ€™ â€“ The Verge
- Microsoftâ€™s emergency ‘PrintNightmare’ patch fails to fix critical exploit â€“ IT Pro
- Audacity Is Now A Possible Spyware, Remove It ASAP â€“ FOSS Post
- Tenacity – Audacity Fork â€“ GitHub
- Telemetry Debate Rocks Audacity Community In Open Source Dustup â€“ Hadaday
- 10 best free DAWS for Mac â€“ [FOSS Mint](https://www.fossmint.com/best-free-daws-for-mac/
- The best DAWs 2021: the best digital audio workstations for PC and Mac â€“ MusicRadar
- Best beginner DAWs 2021: 11 music production software recommendations for newcomers â€“ MusicRadar
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- â€ŽScan Thing: Scan Anything â€“ App Store
- How do you resize the apps in iOS 15? After install, they’ve all gone small. There used to be an option to make apps large or small on the display… â€“ Jim
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Macbook M1 Air Teaser Review â€“ Mark on YouTube
- How to Install Windows 11 on Unsupported Devices â€“ YTechB
- I made GameCube Joy-Cons â€“ YouTube
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured â€“ Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy â€“ a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy Jâ€™s security tips.
- Ghostery â€“ protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login â€“ Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy â€“ Disposable email addresses
- Sudo â€“ get up to 9 â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / Â£2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail â€“ end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test â€“ simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator â€“ so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores â€“ free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.