Recorded 12th July 2020
Jim and Simon are joined by Weyhan Ng our very own iOS developer to talk WWDC, the Public Betas and various other bits and pieces that come along in the course of the conversation.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishmanâ€™s Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here and now he has also released Take Control of Zoom and Take Control of Slack too.
- Steve at Geeks Corner) has restarted his podcast which is a 5-15 min show of his thoughts on tech. Also keep an eye on his site or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk to watch for regular giveaways.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if you’re interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Play | Direct Download | RSS
On this weekâ€™s show:
- On Twitter as @weyhan
- On GitHub as weyhan
- iOS Developer by trade, Mac developer on the side
- Developer / Maintainer of the iOS Compo writing app
- In charge of the Essential Apple Flickr
- Also on Flickr as thesrpspaintshop
- Has videos on Vimeo
- Public Betas released – Simon jumps in with the iOS 14 beta… but leaves macOS 11 until he figures out how heâ€™s going to approach it.
- Tom Hankâ€™s Greyhound debuts on Apple TV+
- Apple warns customers not to close its laptops with a camera cover attached â€“ The Verge
- Appleâ€™s Surprising MacBook Air Decision â€“ Forbes
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Linked in Class Action Suit â€“ Engadget
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Duronic Monitor Arm Stand DM25D1 â€“ Amazon
- Descript Create podcasts, videos, and transcripts – Record. Transcribe. Edit. Mix. As easy as typing.
NEMOâ€™S HARDWARE STORE
- New goodies on the way.
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy â€“ a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy Jâ€™s security tips.
- Ghostery â€“ protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login â€“ Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy â€“ Disposable email addresses
- Sudo â€“ get up to 9 â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / Â£2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail â€“ end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test â€“ simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator â€“ so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire â€“ free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.