Recorded 3rd February 2019
Somehow this show got stuck in draft on MyMac instead of getting published… Sorry â€“ This week Simon had trouble with iCloud, Facebook and Google had trouble with Apple, and Apple had trouble with FaceTime. Serious criminals are tapping into the phone system backbone to attack banks, governments continue to try and get into everyones chats, and the Internet of Things may be an even worse security threat than you ever imagined. Meanwhile guest Guy Serle of the MyMac podcast has problems of his own with some shelves, Apple’s â€œawful terrible no good very bad quarterâ€ might be down on estimates but is still the second biggest quarter they ever had… but over all bad news is all there is.
Somehow this show got stuck in draft on MyMac instead of getting published… This week Simon had trouble with iCloud, Facebook and Google had trouble with Apple, and Apple had trouble with FaceTime. Serious criminals are tapping into the phone system backbone to attack banks, governments continue to try and get into everyones chats, and the Internet of Things may be an even worse security threat than you ever imagined. Meanwhile guest Guy Serle of the MyMac podcast has problems of his own with some shelves, Apple’s â€œawful terrible no good very bad quarterâ€ might be down on estimates but is still the second biggest quarter they ever had… but over all bad news is all there is.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Ghostery has gifted us 10x Ghostery â€œswag bagsâ€ to give away! First 10 out of the hat! Email me on email@example.com with your postal address and preferred T Shirt size to be in with a chance…
- One lucky listener can win a free entry to Dr Mac’s Working Smarter for Mac Users Video course (worth $500), and also we have one copy of the Working Smarter book to give away. As usual email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Dr Mac and you will be entered into the draw.
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this weekâ€™s show:
- On Twitter as @Macparrot and @VertShark
- Co-host of the MyMac show
- Mac to the Future and Guyâ€™s Daily Drive on YouTube
- All his stuff is now at vertshark.com
- Big shout out to Monica and Terry in Apple Support
- Simon and his iCloud issues
- Apple reports $84.3 billion revenue for Q1 2019 after historic downward revision â€“ Venturebeat
- Apple apologises for FaceTime bug â€“ MacRumors
- The Smartphone Marketâ€™s Tough Year â€“ Tech.pinions
- Samsung edges Apple as smartphone woes continue with worldwide shipments down 4.9% in holiday quarter IDC
- Tim Cook Is Right: Why Differentiating Apple From Other Tech Giants Is Such A Smart Move â€“ Forbes
- What Tim Cook Knows That Facebook Doesn’t – Forbes
- Apple have patented a revolutionary new type of â€˜glass keyboardâ€™ – ShortList
- Facebook secretly pays users for complete access to their data â€“ Engadget
- Facebook to Shut Down Controversial iOS Market Research App MacRumors
- Apple bans Facebook from running internal iOS apps following data misuse â€“ Enadget
- Chaos has reportedly erupted inside Facebook as employees find themselves unable to open the company’s apps on their iPhones â€“ Business Insider
- New report states Google also violated App Store privacy rules â€“ iMore
- Apple blocks Google from running its internal iOS apps â€“ The Verge
- ‘Internet of things’ or ‘vulnerability of everything’? Japan will hack its own citizens to find out â€“ CNN
- Criminals Are Tapping into the Phone Network Backbone to Empty Bank Accounts – Motherboard
- Collections #2-5 unearthed with 2.2 billion unique records now exposed online IT Pro
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Something for the future from Proton? â€“ protondrive.com ProtonDrive: Secure Digital Storage
Nemoâ€™s Hardware Store (38:36)
- Supcase Unicorn Beetle Rugged Case with Screen Protector â€“ $30 (other prices for other models for iPad or iPhone)
- Zugu Case iPad Pro 10.5 Case Prodigy X â€“ $60 Amazon UK or Amazon US
- Adobe Photoshop Elements
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo â€“ Get up to 9 â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / Â£2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail â€“ End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator â€“ So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire â€“ Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.