Recorded 18th August 2018
This week I am joined by Nick Riley (@spligosh) and Vic Hudson (Pocket Sized Podcast, Bubblesort Podcast and more) and despite some initial technical difficulties we discuss the iMac’s 20th Birthday, Facetime Group Calls getting delayed, Ming Chi Kuo predictions, robot cars, Apple’s data centre in Arizona, the Hacky Hack Hack, why the ARM roadmap might mean a non Intel Mac is more likely, a bucketful of security stories and more…
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter! We can now also be found on Spotify, Soundcloud and now YouTube. (Special thanks to Allister Jenks for helping me out on that one, wouldn’t have managed it without him!)
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
iTunes | Overcast | Spotify | Soundcloud | YouTube | Google Play | Direct Download | RSS | Pinecast
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo â€“ Get up to 9 free â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity.
- ProtonMail â€“ End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator â€“ So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
On this weekâ€™s show:
- Bubblesort TV
- Announcing The New BubbleSort TV Podcast 🎙 📺
- Pocket Sized Podcast
- App Story Podcast
- Vicâ€™s app Health Up Display, now in beta.
- Vicâ€™s other perpetual beta, Mowing Meter: Fitness Tracking for the back yard!
- Vic on Twitter
- Vic on Micro.blog
- 20 years of the iMac at Ars Technica, in reviews and pictures â€“ Ars Technica
- Group FaceTime delayed until later this fall â€“ Six Colors
- Kuo: AR glasses coming in 2020, Apple Car launch 3-5 years later â€“ 9to5 Mac
- New photos show depths of Apple’s expanding Mesa, Ariz. data center – Apple Insider
- High school student hacked into Apple servers and downloaded 90GB of â€˜secure filesâ€™ â€“ 9to5 Mac
- Apple says no customer information involved in hack by Australian teen – AppleInsider
- Invisible Mouse Clicks Let Hackers Burrow Deep into MacOS – WIRED
- Hackers can compromise your network just by sending a Fax â€“ The Hacker News
- AP Exclusive: Google tracks your movements, like it or not â€“ AP News
- Leaving â€œWeb & App Activityâ€ on and turning â€œLocation Historyâ€ off only prevents Google from adding your movements to the â€œtimeline,â€ its visualization of your daily travels.
- Turns out iOS 12 isn’t safe from ‘brute force’ iPhone unlockers – Cult of Mac
- Bit late on this one CoM and from what I heard on the Magnet AXIOM Forensics Webinar earlier this month – that statement’s not 100% true either.
- ARM announces Client CPU roadmap â€“ ARM
- ARM’s future CPUs said to outperform Intel chips; if so, look for â€˜em in future Macs – Apple World Today
- The year Windows died at home and nobody cared â€“ ZDNet
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Robot cars start delivering groceries in Arizona – The Verge
WORTH-A-CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Protecting Your Data From Camera to Archive â€“ Backblaze Blog
- AirPower Clone Hits the Market for a Fraction of Apple’s Reported Cost â€“ Inverse
Nemoâ€™s Hardware Store (xx:xx)
- No Hardware Store this week as John is on holiday
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.