Recorded 1st July 2018
I am joined by Alex Tsepko the CEO of Skylum Software to talk about Photolemur, Luminar, what happened to the DAM module, and Aurora HDR… Actually the interview was done in two parts because we had issues trying to record while Alex was driving across the Ukraine… (who’d have guessed that?) But regardless of that we got a really great interview. Also Suffolk Pete (@hermboy) and I chew over the news of the week.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 free “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity.
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
- Everyone should have a font manager… I really do believe that. So I highly recommend FontBase — All platforms. Professional features. Beautiful UI. Totally free. FontBase is the font manager of the new generation, built by designers, for designers.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
On this week’s show:
- On Twitter as @hermboy
- Tim Cook defends controversial focus on social issues, says Apple sticks to ‘policy not politics’ – 9to5 Mac
- Apple is Rebooting Its Maps App with Rebuilt Map Data – Mac Stories
- The Apple-Samsung ‘thermonuclear war’ over Android is over, but at least we got these iPhone prototype photos out of the battle -– Business Insider UK
- WiSpear iPhone hacking van is a spy’s wet dream – Cult of Mac
- HMRC ‘disregards data protection’, collecting 5m UK citizens’ voice recordings – IT Pro
- Google and Facebook Are Quietly Fighting California’s Privacy Rights Initiative, Emails Reveal – The Intercept
- People are discovering that scammers are controlling their Apple accounts using a feature for families to share apps – Business Insider UK
IN THE NEWS
- The ad-based Internet is dead, but not because of privacy regulations – The Hill
- Why We Won’t Be Giving Up Our Mac’s Keyboard Anytime Soon – The Mac Observer
- New Microsoft Surface Leak Reveals Radical New Features – Forbes Magazine
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Disney’s flying robot stunt double can pose just like a superhero – The Verge
- Dougee’s smart mirror project.
“Just finished my Smart Mirror project. Really pleased with how it turned out and a good way of making use of an old monitor. Running on a Raspberry Pi and the screen is set behind two way glass.”
WORTH-A-CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Donny’s giveaway: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a set of codes for Rock Picks, Doodled Notes and 11 Kickers
- FontBase — All platforms. Professional features. Beautiful UI. Totally free. FontBase is the font manager of the new generation, built by designers, for designers.
- From MacJim –
Vanja USB 3.0 Card Reader, USB Type C SD/Micro SD Card Reader OTG Adapter for SDXC, SDHC, SD, MMC, RS-MMC, Micro SDXC, Micro SD, Micro SDHC Card and UHS-I Card – Amazon
Nemo’s Hardware Store (59:42)
- Vitesse Cycling Musett $69-$89 US Direct
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.