Recorded 17th September 2017
This week Cassini made its final manoeuvre and crashed into Saturn ending its 13 year scientific mission, some muppets set off a bomb in the Parsonâ€™s Green Tube Station injuring 29 people (some of them children) but thankfully there were no fatalities and Apple held a small gathering at their new Steve Jobs Theatre to announce some new shiny toys.
Mark is off in Budapest enjoying a relaxing break from it all. So in his absence I am joined by Sherman Gossett (Commander Shroom) from Utah, Ruth (@CutieMelon321) and, at incredibly short notice, Guy Searle (@MacParrot) from the My Mac Show. We, of course, give our reactions to the Apple Event, and some other stuff â€“ because, well, what else would we be doing on a podcast?
I am especially pleased to welcome Sherman to this episode because he is most definitely NOT an Apple fanboy â€“ but he has a wealth of experience in the world of IT and we look forward to getting an â€œoutsider’sâ€ view on the Apple announcements.
And I am really sorry that in all the confusion, with Wire dropping people out all over the place, that I forgot to thank our PatreonÂ subscribers… so â€œTHANK YOU Patreon people, you really are lovely people!â€
- Apple TV 4K
- Apple Watch â€“ to LTE or not?
- The iPhones 8 and X
- Face ID and that â€œfailâ€, Hairforce One himself talks about it to John Gruber â€“ The Talk Show
- Qi charging and Apple adopting an existing standard
- 7 iOS settings to change right away â€“ CNET
- Bluetooth problem could let hackers take control of Apple, Samsung and Google devices â€“ [The Telegraph
- BlueBorne Highlights the Risk of Airborne Security Attacks â€“ DZone Security
OK this explains some more about BlueBorne – and I now realise there is more to it than just the obvious Andriod/iOS/Windows/Mac/Linux angle…
- Google.com was created 20 years ago â€” here’s what it looked like when it first launched â€“ My San Antonio
Although Google didn’t launch it’s actual website/search engine until September 27, 1998
- Electric Cars May Rule the Worldâ€™s Roads by 2040 â€“ National Geographic
Nemoâ€™s Hardware Store (47:17)
- Bezalel Latitude Qi Charging CaseÂ for iPhones 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, 7 and 7 Plus â€“ from $49.90 USD on Amazon
I could only find the 6/6S version on Amazon.co.uk for Â£29.99 GBP
- Bezalel Omnia 12 Qi Car Chargerâ€“ $59.90 USD on Amazon
Doesn’t seem to be available in the UK Amazon store.
Worth a Chirp
- Grumpy Old GeeksÂ â€“ a look at â€œwhat went wrong on the internet this week and who is to blameâ€ (and a lot more stuff too).
- The CyberwireÂ â€“ a daily podcast on the threats out there in cyberspace â€“ interesting if a little scary sometimes.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate LinkÂ so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon
And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.