Recorded 13th August 2017
After my Sunday out with friends last week itâ€™s Markâ€™s turn to be otherwise engaged with his social life. That means itâ€™s down to me to keep the show on the road. So that you donâ€™t all have to just listen to me Iâ€™m joined by Scott Willsey previously of the Pocket Sized Podcast and now co-host on Donâ€™t Nihongo It Alone to discuss this weekâ€™s Apple and Tech related news.
Listen to the show
This and other episodes are available at:
On this weekâ€™s show:
- Apple puts voices into people’s heads â€“ Wired.comÂ via Daring Fireball
- iOS Beta has nearly 100 minor tweaks and refinements â€“ YouTube
- Will the next Apple Watch have its own cellular connection? â€“ BBC
- Xiaomi takes top wearable spot say Strategy Analytics â€“ Cult of Mac
Thatâ€™s totally Apples and Oranges though because as they point out, the Xiaomi band costs about Â£18-Â£25 here in the UK and an Apple Watch starts at Â£269 – hardly competing devices Iâ€™d say… that is like saying that someone like Kia are outdoing Ferrari because they shifted more cars!
The full report in excruciating depth – from which that clickbait headline and short precis has been extracted is here Strategy Analytics Report
- From @dougee
Hotspot Shield accused of tracking, logging and selling users histories â€“ Hacker News
- Seems Hotspot might not be the only VPN you canâ€™t rely on … never heard of this one but it seems itâ€™s a data gathering tool for Facebook â€“ Daring Fireball
- WannaCry â€œheroâ€ charged with Kronos malware creation â€“ The Telegraph
- Also Marcus Hutchins: cybersecurity experts rally around arrested WannaCry ‘hero’ â€“ Â The Guardian
- Firmware update blunder bricks hundreds of home ‘smart’ locks â€“ The Register
- Nightmare on Connected Home Street â€“ Wired
- From @MacJim
Consumer Reports drop recommendations for Microsoft Surface with controversial reports of excessive failure rates â€“ Daring Fireball
- From @MacJim
Blood, Sweat and Tears could power future medical tech? – The Verge
- From Scott Willsey
Ulysses moves to a subscription model. Why does it matter and what’s the outrage over subscriptions?Â â€“ MacStories
Nemoâ€™s Hardware Store (24:42)
- Twelve South BookBook for iPhone 7 â€“ Amazon
- ARCTIC S111 Silver USB Powered Stereo Multimedia Speaker with Enhanced DriversÂ â€“ Amazon
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate LinkÂ so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon
And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.