Recorded 13th May 2018
This week while Microsoft had its Build Conference and Google hosted their I/O bash; other news, some of it even about Apple, did manage to get a look in… Nick Riley (aka @spligosh) joins me to take the typically Essential Apple wander around a pot pourri of Apple and other tech stories…
You don’t need a special invite to join our Slack community any more, you can now just click on this Slackroom Link to join up instead!
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 free “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity.
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
On this week’s show:
- On Twitter as @spligosh
- Let’s Talk Apple Podcast
- Apple helps discover new technique that could make aluminium for iPhones and other products without damaging the environment – The Independent
- Apple Doesn’t Need to Make a Round Watch Because Their Design Won Out – iPad Insight
- Apple faces class action lawsuit over failing MacBook butterfly keyboards – 9to5 Mac
- Why the Apple Store Is Selling a Bike Helmet – Slate
- Surveillance video shows iPhone exploding, catching fire in store – ABC News
- 7 ways we’ll interact with computers in the future – Digital Trends
- ‘Black dot’ bug is the latest Unicode text handling flaw to crash iPhone and iPads, works on iOS 11.3 and iOS 11.4 – 9to5 Mac
- HP-35 Scientific Calculator: The Origin Story – Codex 99
- Ring doorbell flaw lets others watch after password changes – Engadget
IN THE NEWS
Nemo’s Hardware Store (47:51)
- Azpen DockAll D108 Fast Wireless Charging Sound Hub $230 US (but it is selling for $99 US on Amazon. Unfortunately Amazon UK only seems to have the older Dockall D100 for £140 UK – probably better to just order from the US and pay the $40 US shipping!!!
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.