So after the zingy star studded relaunch it is back to normal service… Simon and Nick having a good old natter, sure there is some Apple related stuff in here, but a lot of it is just idle chatter! Make of that what you will listeners.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Get 2 months on the Kino Premium Plan with offer code KINOWITHJOHNNEMO
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Recorded 14th May 2023
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | Pocket Casts | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | Listen Notes | Podchaser | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Direct Download | RSS
On this week’s show
- Spligosh in the Slack
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Nick’s church stream videos on You Tube
- 3nm Apple Silicon: What Is It and Why Does It Matter? – MacRumors
- Apple M3 chip: all the news, announcements, and rumors so far – TechRadar
- iOS 16.5 to be released next week; here’s everything new – 9to5Mac
- Apple ID services currently down for many, users unable to login or make payments – 9to5Mac
- Apple Headset’s Capabilities Said to ‘Far Exceed’ Those of Rival Devices – MacRumors
- You May Soon Not Need to Say ‘Hey Siri’ Anymore – MacRumors
- Apple Is Bringing Its Flagship Pro Apps to the iPad and This Surprising Feature Is a Game-Changer – Inc.
- Passkeys may not be for you, but they are safe and easy—here’s why – Ars Technica
- Google passkeys are a no-brainer. You’ve turned them on, right? – Ars Technica
- Tim Cook Addresses ChatGPT’s Popularity, Calls AI’s Potential ‘Very Interesting’ – AppleMagazine
- Millions of Apple users warned of a major messaging downgrade – T3
- This Dock concept is exactly what we want to see from macOS 14 – TechRadar
- Video: Hands on with the new iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro designs and compared to the iPhone 14 lineup – AppleInsider
- Why your thoughts may not be private for much longer – BBC Science Focus
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Millions of Android phones are shipping with malware already installed – TechRadar
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- How to watch new Michael J. Fox documentary ‘Still’ – 9to5Mac
- Apple TV+ drops teaser for Foundation season 2, reveals release date – Winter is Coming
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Check Signed by Steve Jobs Sells for Over $100k at Auction – MacRumors
- The Bad News Is You Got Hit by a Car, The Good News is Tim Cook Wishes You a Speedy Recovery – MacTrast
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured – Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.