Nick, Simon and Jim return after an unscheduled hiatus… Such is life! Lots has happened since the last show, including the version of 253 which is now months out of date and I never published! (Might put it out as a bonus at some point). Anyway, we are back to mull over all the usual sorts of things whilst bearing in mind that our friends in the Ukraine are suffering a terrible injustice and human tragedy.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Get 2 months on the Kino Premium Plan with offer code KINOWITHJOHNNEMO
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Recorded 24th April 2022
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | Pocket Casts | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | Listen Notes | Podchaser | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Direct Download | RSS
On this week’s show
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Nick’s church stream videos on You Tube
- Apple Officially Discontinues macOS Server – PC Mag
- Apple’s biggest supplier makes major Earth Day emissions pledge – iMore
- Service program for Apple Watch Series 6 blank screen issue – 9to5Mac
- Apples chipmaker counting on blazing-fast 2nm processors – Cult of Mac
- Apple to scan for nudity in messages with new child safety feature – Metro
- Android loses ground to iOS, but Google still dominates – 9to5Mac
- Women in tech report shows that Apple is ahead of the curve – 9to5Mac
- Apple Commits to Shareholder-Requested Civil Rights Audit – The Mac Observer
- Transcend announces JetDrive Lite 330 1TB SD card – The Verge
- USB-C iPhone seems closer than ever after new EU vote on charging standardisation – BGR
- Entertainment Industry Pens Open Letter To Tim Cook Over Final Cut Pro – The Mac Observer
- DaVinci Resolve 18 – Blackmagic Design
- Your Mac has a hidden internet speed test tool – iMore
- Yorkshire businesses first to trial cost-cutting water pipe broadband – IT Pro
- Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for $43 billion – Engadget
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- SimpleLogin joins the Proton family – Simple Login
- ProtonMail acquires email alias startup SimpleLogin – 9to5Mac
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Users of iBeer app ‘angered when they did not receive real beer’ – Apple Magazine
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured – Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.