This week Nick is off singing carols and Jim is doing something or other, but Simon is joined by Peter Cohen (of RCR Wireless and they go into down a load of Apple shaped holes before taking a look at a few news stories from the week.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Get 2 months on the Kino Premium Plan with offer code KINOWITHJOHNNEMO
- Affinity Sale – 30% off most stock, 50% off iPad apps
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Recorded 5th December 2021
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | Pocket Casts | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | Listen Notes | Podchaser | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Direct Download | RSS
- Apple Introduces New MacBook Upgrade Program for Business Partners â€“ Mac Rumors
- CIT Page (https://landing.cit.com/mac-upgrade.html?t=SMBMAC-FINANCNING202111)
- $25 Apple Polishing Cloth Review vs AmazonBasics $0.79 Cloth â€“ iPhone in Canada
- App Store monopoly claim rejected by federal court; Apple wins â€“ 9to5Mac
- Apple legal filing indicates it intends to collect commission regardless of payment process â€“ 9to5Mac
- WriteNow â€“ Wikipedia
- USBefuddled: Untangling the Ratâ€™s Nest of USB-C Standards and Cables by Glenn Fleishmanâ€“ TidBits
- FTC sues to stop Nvidiaâ€™s ARM acquisition – RCR Wireless
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Clearing the AirTag: Appleâ€™s new gizmo linked to car thefts â€“ Driving
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- macOS Monterey: 40 Tips, Tricks, and Features You Might Have Missed â€“ MacRumors
- via Peter Cohen Devterm Clockwork Pi
- Chargie: Smarter than Appleâ€™s Optimized Battery Charging â€“ 9to5Mac
NEMOâ€™S HARDWARE STORE (43:52)
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured â€“ Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy â€“ a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy Jâ€™s security tips.
- Ghostery â€“ protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login â€“ Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy â€“ Disposable email addresses
- Sudo â€“ get up to 9 â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / Â£2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail â€“ end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test â€“ simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator â€“ so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores â€“ free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.