Annnnd ITâ€™S BACK – yes the M1 MBA returns in all its glory. Simon is joined by Nick to talk about that, the news in Apple and Tech, and whatever other discursive diversions take their fancy.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishmanâ€™s book Take Control of Securing Your Mac can be found at takecontrolbooks.com along with many other titles by him, Joe Kissell, Jeff Carlson and others.
- Steve at [Geeks Corner ]https://www.geekscorner.info) has a podcast which is usually a 5-15 min show of his thoughts on tech. Also keep an eye on his site or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk to watch for regular giveaways.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Recorded 1st August 2021
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | Pocket Casts | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | Listen Notes | Podchaser | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Direct Download | RSS
On this weekâ€™s show:
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Nickâ€™s church stream videos â€“ You Tube
- Simonâ€™s returned M1 MBA…
- I made the usual mistake of trying to set up my own user account and then realising I need to import the old one with the same name using migration assistant- pleased to say the assistant is now savvy to that mistake and allows you to remove/replace the just created one with the one you want to migrate
- Biggest grief was 1) remembering to go into system startup options and reduce the SIP to reduced or whatever they call it to allow extensions/kexts 2) getting the migrated account to actually activate and use all those things – big flurry of trips to System Prefs / Security approving stuff and warding off restarts until I’d got as many as I could in one go
- Oh and damn I found out you need to enter your iCloud account password an inordinate amount of times before you can get LastPass/Bitwarden/Keychain to do it for you (or even just let you put it on the clipboard)
- But also I found out what a blessing iCloud and Dropbox and OneDrive and all those services are – once their daemons were up and running all my stuff just magically fell back into place
- Oh yes and you also realise how much you make use of handoff when you’re suddenly forced to type in that 20 char string by looking at Passwords on your phone for the 15th time
- macOS: Hereâ€™s How to Reset an M1 Mac SMC â€“ The Mac Observer
- Apple announces record revenue of $81.4 billion â€“ Geeks Corner
- Notes of interest from Apples Q3 2021 earnings report and conference call â€“ AppleInsider
- Apple Q3 2021 Results – $81.4 Billion Revenue â€“ MacStories
- Appleâ€™s controversial Safari redesign is now optional in the latest iPadOS â€“ The Verge
- M1 MacBook screen cracks occurring during normal usage â€“ 9to5Mac
- Apple’s most important supply plant hit by gas contamination in China â€“ 9to5Mac
- Apple Releases Updates for Macs, iPhones, and iPads â€“ The Mac Observer
- Apple is pulling the plug on some Siri support for apps like Uber later this year â€“ iMore
- How can I watch Apple TV+ on my television? â€“ Radio Times
- iPhone 13 and Redesigned MacBook Pro Chip Production Hit With Gas Contamination â€“ MacRumors
- People first drove on the Moon 50 years ago today â€“ Engadget
- The first Windows 11 public beta is available to download â€“ BGR
- TSMC gets green light on 2nm fab, plans to have it operational in 2024 â€“ TechSpot
- Just Have a Think – Iron Air Battery â€“ YouTube
- Solid State Glass Battery â€“ Wikipedia
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Which Tube station should I Park at? â€“ Park & Ride London
- Tube station car parks map â€“ Park & Ride London
- Congestion Charge Zone â€“ TFL Map
- iPhone users: Delete annoying duplicate contacts once and for all â€“ CNet
- Feedback from Jim: We were talking about iCloud and iTunes accounts and I said â€˜I wish Apple would let us combine the iCloud and iTunes accounts into oneâ€™ well, apparently you can but you need to go to the support web page and click on the link to talk to a â€˜human beingâ€™ and they will do the magicâ€“ Apple Support.
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Just for fun: What if Apple had made Mac OS-based smartphones, tablets, and watches in the â€˜90s? â€“ 9to5Mac
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured â€“ Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy â€“ a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy Jâ€™s security tips.
- Ghostery â€“ protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login â€“ Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy â€“ Disposable email addresses
- Sudo â€“ get up to 9 â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / Â£2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail â€“ end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test â€“ simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator â€“ so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores â€“ free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.