Recorded 13th September 2020
Nick and Jim are both back and we take a look at some stories from the week and of course talk about the Time Flies event… and to ramble on in the after show.
For those listeners not familiar with the art for this week it’s a from an old British comedy show called “It ain’t half hot mum” which had a theme tune that went “Hey! Hey! The boys are here, the boys to entertain you!”
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishman’s Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here (https://www.takecontrolbooks.com/working-from-home/) and now he has also released Take Control of Zoom Essentials free as well.
- Steve at Geeks Corner has restarted his podcast which is a 5-15 min show of his thoughts on tech. Also keep an eye on his site or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk to watch for regular giveaways.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if you’re interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Apple’s September 15 Event Said to Be Focused on iPad and Apple Watch, Not iPhones – Mac Rumors
- Apple opens the door to game streaming services with new App Store guidelines – Apple Insider
- Apple Updates Multiple App Review Guidelines Addressing Game Streaming Services, In-App Purchases, Advertising, and More – MacStories
- Apple’s Homekit Platform Is about to Embrace a Wealth of New Accessories – iDrop News
- SoftBank is reportedly preparing to sell ARM to Nvidia for more than $40 billion – The Verge
- Nvidia Eyes Biggest-Ever Chip Deal in Pursuit of SoftBank’s Arm – Bloomberg
- Scotland launches COVID-19 contact tracing app with Apple and Google API – 9to5 Mac
- Vivaldi browser introduces Break Mode: the new way to pause the Internet – Vivaldi
SECURITY & PRIVACY
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- DetailsPro is a new app that lets developers create SwiftUI projects on iPhone and iPad – 9to5 Mac
- Fenêtre (https://getfenet.re/) – Party in the front, business in the back. Picture in picture for your mac – Fenêtre (https://getfenet.re/)
NEMO’S HARDWARE STORE
- Nemo will be back soon with more hardware…
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.