Recorded 15th June 2020
The second part of the previous show where Simon, Nick and Jim carry on and take a look at some of the other news of the week.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishman’s Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here and now he has also released Take Control of Zoom too.
- Steve at Geeks Corner will be having more giveaways in the near future. Keep an eye on the site or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk
- Serif have expanded their sale to everything in the Affinity store until June 20th
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if you’re interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- Apple commits $100 million to racial equity initiative, boosting black partners – Venture Beat
- Apple renames Buchanan Street store as Glasgow calls for racial justice — 9to5 Mac
- Apple Maps Real-Time Transit Information Now Available in Several More Countries and Regions – Mac Rumors
- Apple removes Pocket Casts podcast player from App Store in China at government request – 9to5 Mac
- Apple Discontinuing iBooks Author on July 1, Encourages Writers to Transition to Pages – Mac Rumors
- Apple Discontinuing iTunes U at the End of 2021 – Mac Rumors
- Apple should acquire DuckDuckGo to put pressure on Google Search, analyst argues – 9to5 Mac
ARM MAC SPECULATION
- Will the 12-inch MacBook return fully ‘ARM’ed? – Creative Bloq
- New 12-inch MacBook could be Apple’s first ARM Mac – Apple Post
- Microsoft Just Gave A Billion Users A Reason To Quit Windows 10 — Forbes
- ‘OpenCore Computer’ Launches Commercial Hackintosh in Violation of Apple’s macOS Licensing Agreement [Updated] — MacRumors
- Lego Mindstorms blasts back after seven years with a 5-in-1 programmable robot kit — Stuff
- UK competition watchdog launches investigation into Facebook’s $400M acquisition of Giphy – TechCrunch
- Adobe Photoshop Camera Brings Real-Time Filters and AI to Photo Sharing – Mac Stories
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- This app will tell you if your iPhone has been hacked — ZDNet
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- You can block YouTube ads by adding one symbol to the URL. ‘With great power…’ – Android Authority
- Krita: Digital Painting. Creative Freedom* *– Krita.org
- OpenToonz 2D Animation and vector illustration – GitHub
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.