Recorded 26th May 2020
This week I am joined once more by Jim and Nick and Mark and we talk Jailbreaks, get drawn back into the Apple Glasses thing and talk about Apple TV+ (and then someone went and mentioned the Picard thing and Mark goes off on one!) All this and more in this week’s episode…
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishman’s Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here and now he has also released Take Control of Zoom too.
- Steve at Geeks Corner will be having more giveaways in the near future. Keep an eye on the site or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if you’re interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- @oceanspeed, @essentialapple and @essentialmac on Twitter
- Puts Essential Apple related stuff on YouTube
- Co-host of the The Watching Men Podcast with Karl Madden
- Apple Reissuing Numerous iOS App Updates, Potentially Related to Recent ‘This App is No Longer Shared’ Bug – MacRumors
- Brand new jailbreak can ‘unlock’ any iPhone or iPad – BGR
- Welp, There’s Already a Jailbreak Tool for Apple’s Latest Version of iOS – Gizmodo
- Prosser and Gurman argue the toss over Apple AR Glasses…
- Apple TV+ tops 10 million subscribers, company buying TV show and movie back catalog to expand service – 9to5 Mac
- Hey I’m watching The Story of Airlander. Check it out now on Prime Video! via Ivor Pope – Amazon Prime
- Ex-Apple designer targets HomePod with Syng ‘Cell’ speaker startup – Apple Insider
- Windows 10 update is causing critical laptop errors: What to do now – Laptop Mag
- Zoom has temporarily removed Giphy from its chat feature – The Verge
- OBS Studio for livestreaming – OBS Project
- Stream Deck Mobile – El Gato
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Judge Rules FBI Cannot View a Phone Lock Screen Without a Warrant – Mac Rumors
- Startpage and Vivaldi bring more privacy to your search – Vivaldi
- This is how UK coronavirus app could be used to spy on you – The National
- Coronavirus: Security flaws found in NHS contact-tracing app – BBC News
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Why Did Nobody Tell Me The iPhone Calculator Has Had A Hidden Backspace Trick This Whole Time – Pedestrian
- Zhiyun Releases Tiny, Foldable 2-Axis Smartphone Gimbal for Just $60 – PetaPixel
- Courtesy of the BBC and tweeted by @MacandForth – BBC
- Star Trek Backgrounds for Video Calls – ARC Games
- Star Wars Backgrounds for Video Calls – Star Wars
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- The Free Operating System That’s Identical To macOS – Forbes
- Actual OS files have been pulled unsurprisingly
- Take a screen shot on iPad with the Apple Pencil (probably the crayon too I would expect)
- Place pencil in bottom right or bottom left of screen and drag to the centre of the screen!
NEMO’S HARDWARE STORE
- Basically waiting for the pandemic to pass…
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.