Recorded 8th March 2020
Not a great deal of Apple News, except the growing expectation Apple might not be able to do WWDC in the same way as previous years, and a free fix for owners of iPad Air 3s with troublesome screens. Meanwhile Intel reveal that there is a dangerous flaw in their chip management module that canâ€™t be fixed, Virgin Media might be in hot water with the GDPR, Microsoft say 99.9% of hacked accounts make the same mistake, and TCL showed off an interesting â€œrollable extendable phone conceptâ€. Simon and Nick consider these and wander off into a few other bits and pieces as well (as they often do).
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Get Donny Yankellowâ€™s 2FunDads iMessage stickers for FREE
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if youâ€™re interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this weekâ€™s show:
- WWDC on Verge of Being Canceled Following New #COVID19 Guidance From Santa Clara County â€“ Mac Observer
- Appleâ€™s new App Store policies fight spam and abuse but also allow ads in notifications â€” Ars Technica
- Apple offers free repair for third-generation iPad Air models facing blank screen issues â€” 9to5 Mac
- Intel â€˜unable to fixâ€™ critical hardware-encoded CPU flaw â€“ IT Pro
- TCL reveals extending smartphone concept and tri-fold tablet â€“ BBC News
- TCLâ€™s rollable phone concept is wild and a wayyy better idea than screens that bend in half with ugly creases and half-baked hinges â€“ Input Magazine
- Sonos kills its device-bricking â€˜recycle modeâ€™ â€“ Engadget
- Electric cars may not get cuter than the Microlino 2.0 â€” CNET
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Donâ€™t be fooled, experts warn, Americaâ€™s anti-child-abuse EARN IT Act could burn encryption to the ground â€” The Register
- Virgin Media â€˜likely to face maximum GDPR fineâ€™ following data leak â€“ IT Pro
- 1.2 Million Microsoft Accounts Hacked, Made The â€œSameâ€ Mistake â€” Fossbytes
- Boots halts Advantage Card payments after cyber-attack â€“ BBC News
- Amazonâ€™s Ring logs every doorbell press and app action â€“ BBC News
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- DuckDuckGo Open-Sources New â€˜Tracker Radarâ€™ To Fight Online Tracking â€” Fossbytes
- Fully Charged Show â€“ YouTube
NEMOâ€™S HARDWARE STORE
- Nemo will be back as soon as the trucks can get to himâ€¦
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy â€“ a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online
- Ghostery â€“ protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo â€“ get up to 9 â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / Â£2.50 UK per month thereafterâ€¦
- ProtonMail â€“ end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREEâ€¦ what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test â€“ simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator â€“ so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire â€“ free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these servicesâ€¦ We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Essential Apple Podcast 166: A show with no notes?Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldnâ€™t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.