Recorded 1st March 2020
This week would have been Steve Jobsâ€™ 65th birthday, the product turned verb Photoshop passed 30, the StyleWriter is 29 and speculation about ARM Macs is running rife. Also the novelcoronavirus COVID-19 continues to wreak havoc. To talk about all this I am joined by Nick Riley for a lot of speculation as to what it all means!
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Get Donny Yankellow’s 2FunDads iMessage stickers for FREE
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if you’re interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this weekâ€™s show:
- @spligosh (https://twitter.com/spligosh) on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Appleâ€™s Over the Air OS Recovery Solves a Huge Problem Which Many Users Wonâ€™t Realize Needs Fixing â€“ Wccftech
- Apple may let users change default apps on iPhones to satisfy trustbusters â€“ Mac Daily News
- Apple losing 2 veteran execs who were key in producing its top devices â€“ Fortune
- 29 Years Ago Today, Apple Officially Launched the StyleWriter â€” iDrop News
- Four reasons why a removable battery for the iPhone is a horrible idea â€” Fast Company
- I Hope Apple Ignores John Gruberâ€™s Rants on the iPad â€” iPad Insight
- ARM for Mac
- CitroÃ«n’s new EV is a tiny two-seater that only costs $22 a month â€” Engadget
- Adobe marks 30 years of Photoshop with new iPad and Mac features â€“ 9to5 Mac
- Google, Microsoft & Facebook cancel near-term events due to COVID-19 with Google and Apple’s larger events still in Question â€” Patently Apple
- Affinity Suite updates to v1.8 (and then immediately 1.8.1 with bug fixes) â€“ Serif
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Flaw in billions of Wi-Fi devices left communications open to eavesdropping â€“ Ars Technica
- Controversial Clearview AI iPhone App disabled for breaking App Store rules â€” Cult of Mac
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Write Notes from Your iPhone’s Lock Screen with This Hidden Feature â€” iDrop News
- Vimeo Create – Video Maker App Store
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- The phrase â€˜Robotâ€™ was coined 100 years ago, in a play predicting human extinction by android hands â€” TechCrunch
- The Project Gutenberg eBook of R. U. R. (Rossum’s Universal Robots), by Karel Capek.
NEMOâ€™S HARDWARE STORE
- Nemo will be back soon
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery â€“ protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo â€“ Get up to 9 â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / Â£2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail â€“ End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator â€“ So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire â€“ Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these servicesâ€¦ We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.