Recorded 9th June 2019
This week is of course the obligatory post WWDC edition! I am joined by Weyhan Ng our resident iOS developer and by Donny Yankellow to talk about what we felt about this year’s keynote, and what it might mean for the Apple ecosystem going forward. With such a huge number of announcements we could never cover them all so we wander where the whim takes us…
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
- Get Donny Yankellow’s 2FunDads iMessage stickers for FREE
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
We can now also be found on RadioPublic, PlayerFM and TuneIn as well as all the other places previously available.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- @rtteachr on Twitter
- Find his work at hedgehogalley.com
- Find his stuff in iBooks, a load of sticker packs in the App Store under Donny Yankellow and DesignBundles.net as Skrbly
- Skrbly Studio on YouTube
- New store on 2FunDads.com
- 2FunDads FREE iOS stickers
- Skrbly Store
- Latest sticker pack Skribble Doods
- On Twitter as @weyhan on Twitter
- On GitHub as weyhan
- iOS Developer who goes by handle the Eccentric iOS developer
- Developer / Maintainer of the iOS Compo writing app
- WWDC video downloader script. Use the script to download 1080p WWDC keynote and sessions video/slides
- WWDC – That Mac Pro! The “grand stand” debacle. iPad OS, Swift UI, Sidecar, and more…
- Craig Federighi: The AppStories Interview – MacStories
- John Gruber’s The Talk Show LIVE FROM WWDC 2019 WITH CRAIG FEDERIGHI AND GREG JOSWIAK https://daringfireball.net/thetalkshow/2019/06/04/ep-254
- Why SwiftUI might be the biggest thing to come out of WWDC – Cult of Mac
- Here’s a question for the show: the new Mac Pro; who is really aimed for and why is there no middle ground Mac between the iMac Pro and new Mac Pro? Do you think they’ll keep the trash can Mac Pro around for that or will it die when the new model arrives?
- Here’s what creatives think of the new Mac Pro – The Verge
- Apple’s $999 Pro Stand is just the latest sign of its identity crisis – VentureBeat
- These Are the Macs That Officially Support Sidecar – iClarified
- The makers of Duet Display and Luna on life after Apple’s Sidecar – Tech Crunch
- Apple officially kills Dashboard in macOS 10.15 Catalina – 9to5 Mac
- New and changed Apple Podcasts categories: summer 2019 – Pod News
- By calling Huawei Android fork a security risk, Google contradicts its own open source arguments – VentureBeat
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Microsoft deletes massive face recognition database – BBC News
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Apple iMac 21.5″ Intel i3-2100 Dual Core 3.1GHz 250GB (Certified-Refurbished 2010 Model) – Mashable Shop
- Donny says “I don’t like the magic mouse but target has it for $40 for those interested” – Target
- Seek by iNaturalist – App Store
- Affinity suite updates to 1.7, Publisher leaves beta and they have a 20% off everything sale to celebrate – Serif
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Maker Faire halts operations and lays off all staff – Tech Crunch
- Skype screen sharing now out of beta on iOS and Android – 9to5 Mac
Nemo’s Hardware Store (1:02:57)
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.