This edition, Part Two of the show recorded with John Chidgey of Bubblesort and The Engineered Network (home of Pragmatic, Analytical, and more) and in this part we talk about a variety of technology topics including Windows 7 EOL, Graphene, Google autodeleting info on you, Facebook suing some Koreans and more.. The power of â€œpostâ€ has allowed me to make it sound like this was how it was intended; but I can promise you that isn’t how it happened at all!
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
We can now also be found on RadioPublic, PlayerFM and TuneIn as well as all the other places previously available.
Recorded 12th May 2019
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this weekâ€™s show:
- @johnchidgey on Twitter
- @firstname.lastname@example.org on the Fediverse
- One of the Bubblesort Podcast members
- Head of The Engineered Network home of podcasts such as Causality and Pragmatic and more
- Microsoft Has Some Bad News For Windows 10 Haters â€“ Forbes
- Adobe CC Removes Older Versions of Photoshop and Lightroom â€“ PetaPixel
- A graphene breakthrough hints at the future of battery power â€“ Wired
- Physicists Are Bewitched by Twisted Graphene’s ‘Magic Angle’ â€“ Wired
- Announcing WSL 2 | Windows Command Line Tools For Developers â€“ Microsoft
- Wait. What?? The year of the Linux desktop is finally here?! Iâ€™d never had imagined itâ€™ll look like this. #YearOfTheLinuxDesktop #YotLD2019 â€“ @weyhan on Twitter
- Google is finally ready to talk openly about the mysterious new OS that might replace Android – BGR
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- UK To Introduce New Law For IoT Device Security â€“ Forbes
- Real-Time Protection features added in Malwarebytes â€“ Malwarebytes
- Google to ‘auto-delete’ web tracking history â€“ BBC News
- Sinister secret backdoor found in networking gear perfect for government espionage: The Chinese are â€“ oh no, wait, it’s Cisco again â€“ The Register
- Facebook (am I right – with apologies to the Vergecast) â€“ Facebook sues South Korean analytics company to send â€˜messageâ€™ about privacy to app developers â€“ Washington Post
- This smacks more of Facebook being annoyed that people have been effectively trying to use Facebook gathered data to sell info to advertisers and thus directly competing with Facebook to me…
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Etch-A-Snap Camera Puts a Modern Spin on a Toy From the ’50s â€“ Digital Trends
- Can’t draw on an Etch A Sketch? Snap a photo with the Etch-A-Snap and the camera will draw out the scene for you.
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo â€“ Get up to 9 â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / Â£2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail â€“ End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator â€“ So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire â€“ Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these servicesâ€¦ We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.