This week I am joined by our resident digital forensics specialist and the Slackroom security guru @dougee (Andy J) for a Cyber Security Special to talk about passwords, password managers, browsers, tracking, fingerprinting, AV/Malware protection and lots more. We even find time to fit in a few short news stories too!
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter! We can now also be found on Spotify, Soundcloud and even YouTube. Recorded 17th February 2019
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this weekâ€™s show:
Andy J (aka @dougee)
- In the Slackroom
- Americans and Cyber Security â€“ Pew Internet
- Top 10 Security Practices â€“ Cal Poly
- 2019 State of Malware report: Trojans and cryptominers dominate threat landscape â€“ Malwarebytes Blog
- The best Mac antivirus of 2019
- How to stay as private as possible on Apple’s iPad and iPhone â€“ Computerworld
- 99 Free Privacy Tools That Will Keep You Safe Online in 2019 â€“ Cloudwards
- 7 security tips to stop apps from stealing your data – CNET
- Two Factor and U2F authentication
- Authentictor Apps inc Authy, Google, Microsoft, Last Pass
- YubiKey or Simon’s is the Feitian ePass FIDO-NFC Security Key
- VPNs â€“ so many out there, but be cautious that the one you use is reputable (and I am never sure comparison sites aren’t taking a kickback to promote one or more services… call me cynical)
- Advertising/Content Blockers/Anti Trackers
- Ghostery / Ghostery Lite / Ghostery Plus
- Privacy Badger
- Ad Block Plus
- Crystal Content Blocker (iOS)
- Password Managers – like anything based around securing your privacy be sure your chosen solution is verifiably reputable
- iOS KeyChain
- 1 Password
- Password Boss
- Reverse Firewall / Network Blocking
- Little Snitch
- Hands Off
- Radio Silence
- New macOS Malware Variant of Shlayer (OSX) Discovered â€“ Carbon Black
- Apple’s latest update for iOS 12 makes it easier to manage subscriptions â€“ BGR
- Apple being sued because two-factor authentication on an iPhone or Mac takes too much time â€“ Apple Insider
- Apple to acquire voice app firm PullString in deal worth below $100M, report says â€“ AppleInsider
- Apple reportedly acquires digital marketing firm DataTiger â€“ Apple Insider
- â€˜Surveillance capitalismâ€™ has gone rogue. We must curb its excesses â€“ Washington Post
- Not only was glass box spying on people apparently it was insecure as hell to boot… Computer World
- Google Is Forcing Some Nest Customers to Reset Their Potentially Compromised Passwords – Gizmodo
- ‘Google, this is bogus as hell’ â€” one of the fathers of the internet blasts Google for how Chromecast behaves on his home network â€“ Business Insider
- Consumer groups call out retailers in a bid for better IoT security â€“ Digital Trends
- US needs an internet data privacy law, GAO tells Congress â€“ CNet
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- TCL is working on a foldable phone that bends into a smartwatch â€“ CNet
Nemoâ€™s Hardware Store (55:24)
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo â€“ Get up to 9 â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / Â£2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail â€“ End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator â€“ So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire â€“ Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.