Recorded 20th January 2019
This week Slackers everywhere lost their collective cool over a new Slack logo, Apple put some iPhone SEâ€™s on clearance for $249 and they sold out almost instantly, a huge cache of email addresses and passwords got put online and Duck Duck Go moved over to Apple Maps. Here to talk with me about all of that, plus woodworking, a great computer cutting machine he discovered and much more is the always effervescent Bob â€œDr Macâ€ LeVitus.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Ghostery has gifted us 10x Ghostery â€œswag bagsâ€ to give away! First 10 out of the hat! Email me on firstname.lastname@example.org with your postal address and preferred T Shirt size to be in with a chanceâ€¦
- One lucky listener can win a free entry to Dr Macâ€™s Working Smarter for Mac Users Video course (worth $500), and also we have one copy of the Working Smarter book to give away. As usual email email@example.com with the subject Dr Mac and you will be entered into the draw.
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019* use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
We can now also be found on Spotify, Soundcloud and even YouTube.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
iTunes | Overcast | Spotify | Soundcloud | YouTube | Google Play | Direct Download | RSS | Pinecast | Essential Apple | My Mac
On this weekâ€™s show:
BOB â€œDR MACâ€ LEVITUS
- Bob LeVitus, often referred to as â€œDr. Mac,â€ is a well-known authority on all things Macintosh, OS X, and Apple devices including the iPad and iPhone. One of the Apple communityâ€™s most trusted advisors for almost thirty years.
- Author of over 80 books including Working Smarter for Mac Users and macOS Mojave for Dummies
- Visit https://www.workingsmarterformacusers.com (https://www.workingsmarterformacusers.com/)
- @LeVitus on Twitter
- Amadine Beta: Vector Graphic Design Software for Mac and iOS from BeLight â€“ https://amadine.com (https://amadine.com/)
- Popular VLC video player is getting AirPlay support â€“ Cult of Mac
- DuckDuckGo Moves to Apple Maps for Mapping-Related Queries â€“ iPad Insight
- Watch Appleâ€™s $249 iPhone SE clearance stock evaporate â€“ Apple 3.0
- 2FA codes can be phished by new pentest tool â€“ Naked Security
- Computer scientist David Magerman wants to build a more ethical internet – CBC News
- The father of the Internet, Tim Berners-Lee, has been trying to do the same with his Solid project
- Troy Hunt: The 773 Million Record â€œCollection #1â€ Data Breach â€“ Troy Hunt
WORTH A CHIRP
- Keychron K1 Mechanical Keyboard â€“ Keychron
- Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard â€“ Amazon.com / Amazon.co.uk
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Louis Vuitton wireless earbuds will cost you almost $1,000 â€“ Engadget
Nemoâ€™s Hardware Store ()
- No hardware store this week as John is off travelling
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com â€“ Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo â€“ Get up to 9 â€œavatarsâ€ with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / Â£2.50 UK per month thereafterâ€¦
- ProtonMail â€“ End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREEâ€¦ what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN â€“ a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator â€“ So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire â€“ Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast â€“ a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these servicesâ€¦ We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldnâ€™t have half the stories we actually do â€“ we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.