Recorded 28th July 2019
This week Apple spent $1Bn to acquire most of Intel’s modem business, Facebook got their $5Bn fine (but with an amnesty for everything they’ve done chucked in), an ex Facebook and CIA employee says “Facebook knows you better than the CIA ever will”, Trump says Apple won’t be exempt from tariffs, and the Flyboard guy failed to fly the channel to mark 110th anniversary of Louis Bleriot’s 1909 Channel crossing.
Sorry if the audio is a touch off, Mark seems to have got quieter and more clipped as the show went on… possibly a bandwidth issue – I can’t really say for sure. I levelled it out as much as I could but that has introduced a tiny amount of hiss
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
- Get Donny Yankellow’s 2FunDads iMessage stickers for FREE
- Donny’s drawing app offer Buy the app now at the 2 category price and 1/3 off! When the third category is added the price will go up! App Store
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has started up a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if you’re interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- Apple to acquire the majority of Intel’s smartphone modem business – Apple Newsroom
- Intel CEO explains why the company is exiting the smartphone modem business — Yahoo Finance
- Donald Trump says the US will not waive tariffs for Apple’s new Mac Pro to be made in China – 9to5 Mac
- Since last week two UK options for “unlimited mobile broadband” have appeared: Three and Vodafone – (https://www.4g.co.uk/unlimited-mobile-broadband/)
- The Vodafone offering is 5G and about £50 UK a month but the 3 offerings can be had for prices that are in the £20-£30 range…
- Don’t fall for the the 5G fallacy – IT Pro
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Facebook Knows More About You Than the CIA – Wired
- Facebook to pay $5bn fine as regulator settles Cambridge Analytica complaint – The Guardian
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Kanex launches three MacBook-friendly USB-C hubs, priced from $60– 9to5 Mac
- Kodak Mobile Film Scanner is a cheap cardboard-based way to scan 35mm film and slides – DP Review
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Flyboard inventor Franky Zapata fails in bid to cross the Channel — Sky News
Nemo’s Hardware Store (43:22)
- Catalyst Waterproof Case for iPad Pro 11in 2018 Model / 12.9in 2018 Model
- [Phoozy 13in Laptop/Tablet Thermal Capsule]https://phoozy.com/products/phoozy-13-macbook-laptop-capsule] $70 US Amazon – Not currently in the UK store.
- Phoozy 11in Tablet Thermal Capsule $60 US Amazon – Not currently in the UK store
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Essential Apple Podcast 144: School’s out for summer…Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.