Recorded 14th July 2019
This week Apple announced new MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros, but killed the MacBook… also they cut prices on SSD BTO upgrades (Yay) but not RAM (Boo. Rumours that they’re going to drop the butterfly keyboard are got stronger and more plausible. Tech pundits declared this year’s iPhones boring and ugly and are only interested in rumours about 2020 iPhones. And we talk about “chiplets” and why the industry is saying they are the way forward for silicon. In other news Facebook got fined $5 billion (like they care…) and a French guy on a flyboard was the highlight of the Bastille Day Parade!
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
- Get Donny Yankellow’s 2FunDads iMessage stickers for FREE
- Donny’s drawing app offer Buy the app now at the 2 category price and 1/3 off! When the third category is added the price will go up! App Store
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has started up a family friendly Flikr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if you’re interested head over to the Essential Apple Flikr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- On Twitter as @Macparrot and @VertShark
- Co-host of the MyMac show
- Mac to the Future and Guy’s Daily Drive on YouTube
- All his stuff is now at vertshark.com
- Apple Revamps MacBook Lineup – Daring Fireball
- Apple makes huge cuts to SSD upgrade pricing for Macs – Cult of Mac
- Unconfirmed reports suggest Apple has killed AR glasses project (updated) – VentureBeat
- Apple’s AR glasses could help visually impaired see the full picture – AppleInsider
- Hulu Re-Enables 4K Streaming For Chromecast Ultra And Apple TV – Ubergizmo
- For developers. Apple made available searchable transcript for WWDC 2019 videos – Apple
- Mike Bombich tech note on the new read only Catalina system drive and how it is made to work… Bombich
- Chiplets Are Both Solution to and Symptom of a Larger Problem – ExtremeTech
- Intel Highlights Chiplet Advances – Techpinions
- No, 5G isn’t going to make your 4G LTE phone obsolete – CNET
- For a really good discussion on these subjects listen to the Techpinions Podcast
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- A good reason for using a reputable VPN that you can trust – VPNPro
- 22 VPN Services to Protect Your Privacy – Search Encrypt Blog
- TrickBot returns with new attack that compromised 250 million email addresses – Digital Trends
- A Zoom Flaw Gives Hackers Easy Access to Your Webcam – Wired
- Microsoft Issues Warning For 50M Windows 10 Users – Forbes
- Microsoft Confirms Windows ‘Great Duke Of Hell’ Malware Attack – Forbes
- Facebook ‘to be fined $5bn over Cambridge Analytica scandal’ – BBC News
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Wireless Flight Adapter Bluetooth 5 Audio Transmitter for Headphones
- AirFly Bluetooth Audio Adapter Review by Sandy Foster – Podfeet Podcasts
- The Apple Watch Series 3 just had £200 lopped off its price on this limited time deal – TrustedReviews
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Bastille Day: Flyboard takes part in military display – BBC News
- Goodbye Aberration: Physicist Solves 2,000-Year-Old Optical Problem – PetaPixel
Nemo’s Hardware Store (33:32)
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.