Recorded 28th April 2019
Well what the actual hell? I take a week off and the internet goes berserk! Apple and Qualcomm settle, Intel drop 5G modems, Samsung Fold review units are a bust (literally), Samsung “delay” its launch as a result. Jony gives an interview and says he lives in the future, Tim Cook says he believes in doing the right thing, Apple get into a row about ‘screen time’ apps, plus buckets more stuff happened. I am joined by Nick (@spligosh) Riley to take a gander at some of it… (and apologies to Bill Bailey for stealing his line from the Pubbe Gagge)
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
- Get Photolemur 2 free by helping this YouTube video to 100,000 views.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
We can now also be found on RadioPublic, PlayerFM and TuneIn as well as all the other places previously available.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- @spligosh (https://twitter.com/spligosh) on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Dior’s Kim Jones and Apple’s Jony Ive predict what our future will look like – Document Journal
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Speaks Out About Doing ‘What’s Right’ Despite the Backlash – Fortune
- Apple recalls plugs in UK, Hong Kong and Singapore – BBC News
- Phil Schiller says Apple pulling third-party screen time apps due to privacy abuses, as Tony Fadell calls Screen Time ‘a rush job’ – 9to5 Mac
- Apple patches iOS App Store bug that was preventing app downloads – TechCrunch
- Surfer’s lost Apple Watch survives six months at sea – CNet
- Apple poached Intel’s lead 5G engineer in February to expand its own smartphone modem team – 9to5 Mac
- Intel admits Apple-Qualcomm settlement influenced its decision to drop 5G – Mashable
- Samsung to Postpone the Launch of the Galaxy Fold – Samsung Global Newsroom
- Overcast now supports clip-sharing – The Verge
- We accidentally created a new wonder material that could revolutionise batteries and electronics – The Conversation UK
- Apple won’t like this… Run MacOS on ANY PC – YouTubeLinus Tech Tips
- Deaf boy finds voice after brain implant – BBC News
- New aircraft rises ‘like a balloon’ – BBC News
- Luminary upsets a whole bunch of podcasters and publishers… – The Verge
- 20 Years Ago, Microsoft Changed How We Mouse Forever – Gizmodo
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Facebook says it unintentionally uploaded email contacts of 1.5 million users – Digital Trends
- Windows App Runs on Mac, Downloads Info Stealer and Adware – TrendLabs Security Intelligence Blog
- ProtonMail now offers elliptic curve cryptography for advanced security and faster speeds – ProtonMail Blog
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Ethical Alternatives & Resources – an open list of resources for ethical living — from browsers to books, TED talks to apps – Ethical.net
- This free Chrome Extension strips away all the junk to give you the Gmail experience you actually want – BGR
- Jumbo: Privacy Assistant. A single app for all your privacy needs. Jumbo lets you clean your personal data – across all social media apps and internet services – App Store
- Quardio Blood Pressure Monitor
Nemo’s Hardware Store
- Due to the Easter and Passover festivities John has no hardware to review this week.
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.