Recorded 16th December 2018
This week Apple Music started working on Amazon Echo devices (well if you live in the US anyway). Apple Pay arrived in Germany, and Apple announced a $1 billion investment in Austin, Texas, for a new campus (plus a lot of other US expansion). App developers got some extra analytics from the Mac App Store and Apple backed a move for a US Digital Privacy Law. Meanwhile I am joined by Oliver Breidenbach of Boinx Software and Nick Riley to talk about all that and more as we decide we’re “simply having a wonderful Christmas time…”
Skylum has gifted us 5x of Luminar 2019 and Aurora 2019 to give away! Send an email to email@example.com mentioning Luminar or Aurora and the phrase I give in the show to enter.
PLUS Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HDR 2019 with discount code EssentialApple (All the 2019 updates will be free. Learn more.)
Also we have a two Licenses for BeLight Live Home 3D to give away… 1x iOS and 1x Mac. Email the show on firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning Live Home 3D and the phrase I give out in the show.
Winners for both will be announced on the Christmas Party Podcast which is recording on the 23rd December.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- Boinx Makers of cool photo and video software for Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
- On Twitter as @boinxsoftware
- Oliver is on Twitter as @obreidenbach
- @spligosh on Twitter, sometimes on the Let’s Talk Apple Podcast.
- Apple plans new $1 billion campus in Austin Texas (and more) – Reuters
- Apple Pay arrives in Germany (at last) – Tech Crunch
- Apple now supports app analytics for developers on the Mac App Store 9to5 Mac
- Apple-backed tech group drafts US privacy bill – 9to5 Mac
- Apple Music launches on Amazon Echo (US Only for now)[9to5 Mac](https://9to5mac.com/2018/12/15/top-stories-apple-music-echo-more
- Boinx have released new version of Mouseposé
- Intel unveils new 10nm Sunny Cove CPUs, possibly destined for future Macs – 9to5 Mac
- Logitech app security flaw allowed keystroke injection attacks – ZDNet
- Australia’s vague anti-encryption law sets a dangerous new precedent – ProtonMail Blog
- The digital privacy tools you need to be using now – Fast Company
- 2018 saw people use eleven new dumb passwords – including ‘Donald’ – 9to5 Mac
WORTH-A-CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Satechi’s Aluminum Keyboard is a great alternative to Apple’s more expensive space gray option – 9to5 Mac
- NVIDIA Shield Streaming & Game Device
- 12 Star Apps promotion (should be starting 20th December)
Nemo’s Hardware Store (48:32)
- Silca Maratona Gear Bag – $180 US Direct
- Bonx Grip earpiece – $139 US each or $260 US for twin packs (ERRATUM: The Bonx site is BONX.CO apologies for getting it wrong last week)
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
- Everyone should have a font manager… I really do believe that. So I highly recommend FontBase — All platforms. Professional features. Beautiful UI. Totally free. FontBase is the font manager of the new generation, built by designers, for designers.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.