Recorded 30th September 2018
Sorry it’s late – life and work kind of intervened… Also sorry about last week – neither Donny or I were feeling up to scratch so we decided that if we both felt ill it was best to just abandon it. Meanwhile the stories kept piling up – an awful lot of it “security and privacy’ related to be honest.
DONT FORGET THE JOE KISSELL OFFER… 30% any Take Control purchase before November 30th with this link 30% Off or use the code ESSENTIALAPPLE at checkout.
And just quick reminder that Indonesia was struck with a 7.7 earthquake resulting in a massive Tsunami… Please consider donating to a reputable aid agency if you can.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter! We can now also be found on Spotify, Soundcloud and even YouTube.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 free “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity.
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing
- Everyone should have a font manager… I really do believe that. So I highly recommend FontBase — All platforms. Professional features. Beautiful UI. Totally free. FontBase is the font manager of the new generation, built by designers, for designers.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
On this week’s show:
- @Spligosh on Twitter, and an occasional guest on Bart Buschotts’ Let’s Talk Apple
- @oceanspeed, occasionally puts Essential Apple videos on YouTube which isn’t the same as the Podcast Channel
- What cardiologists think about the Apple Watch’s heart-tracking feature – The Washington Post
- News: Doctors raising concerns that Apple Watch ECG feature could lead to needless anxiety – iLounge
- THIS ONE GAVE US A LAUGH Apple Watch fall detection might get you arrested – Cult of Mac
- The first iOS 12.1 public beta with Group FaceTime is available right now – BGR
- Apple is quietly giving people ‘trust scores’ based on their iPhone data – The Independent
- Apple iOS 12 Has A Serious Problem – Forbes Magazine — the Slack wasn’t convinced by this and nor was I but..
- Some iPhone X users report major display color and contrast changes in iOS 12: Digital Photography Review
- If you are sad your Mac is just a touch too old for Mojave and feel brave…. Mojave Patcher for officially unsupported Mac
- Mojave ‘still full of security holes’ despite promises of tougher protections – IT Pro
- For Over A Month Hackers Stole Credit Card Data From New Egg Customers As They Made Purchases – Joseph Steinberg
- Mobile Privacy: What Do Your Apps Know About You? – Symantec
- How to protect your phone or computer when crossing borders – ProtonMail Blog
- A New California Bill Would Require Better Passwords for Internet of Things Devices – Slate
- California just became the first state with an Internet of Things cybersecurity law — The Verge
- With Apple and now Microsoft taking a vocal leadership position on human rights and privacy, it seems that this may become table stakes going forward for other companies. – Ben Bajarin
- Facebook security breach: Up to 50m accounts attacked – BBC News
- The Facebook Security Meltdown Exposes Way More Sites Than Facebook – Wired
- NOTE THE COMMENTS ON SINGLE SIGN IN DANGERS
- Facebook reportedly avoids US government wiretap of Messenger voice calls – The Verge
IN THE NEWS
- Multimillion pound ‘cyber force to be launched in Britain’ – The Independent
WORTH-A-CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Internet Arcade : Free Software : Free Download, Borrow and Streaming – Internet Archive
- This Shortcut Lets You Download YouTube Videos on Your iPhone Straight from the Source, No Shady Services Needed – iOS & iPhone – Gadget Hacks
- A Twitter thread with a host of “did you know” tips in it… Twitter and related to it this article
- That Fishing game… Fisher Tycoon
Nemo’s Hardware Store (45:29)
- iPhone X / XR / XS Max – Silk – Smartish Products
- Premium Smartphone Cases, Watch Bands & Accessories – Case-Mate
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.