Recorded 8th July 2018
Well this week the news was all about rumours… From the ones you and I could come up with through to the frankly fanciful. But we tend not to do rumours on this show, so I am having none of that. Instead I have Oliver Breidenbach of Boinx and Guy Serle from the MyMac Show and we discuss MIMO Live, Tim Berners-Lee being “devastated” by the state of the web. Mojave, Betas and more.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 free “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity.
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
- Everyone should have a font manager… I really do believe that. So I highly recommend FontBase — All platforms. Professional features. Beautiful UI. Totally free. FontBase is the font manager of the new generation, built by designers, for designers.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
On this week’s show:
- On Twitter as @Macparrot
- Co-host of the MyMac show
- Mac to the Future and Guy’s Daily Drive on YouTube
Makers of cool photo and video software for Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
- On Twitter as @boinxsoftware
- Oliver is on Twitter as @obreidenbach
- Find them at Boinx
- Apple released more new betas
- Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 60 With Bug Fixes and Feature Improvements – MacRumors
- Why Microsoft and Apple are scrambling to release dark mode versions of apps and services – TechRepublic
- Microsoft’s foldable ‘Andromeda’ pocket device may never surface – Digital Trends
- Some Third-Party Email Apps Like Edison Let Employees Read User Emails – MacRumors
- Facebook Patent Application For Listening Tech – MSN
IN THE NEWS
- “I Was Devastated”: Tim Berners-Lee, the Man Who Created the World Wide Web, Has Some Regrets – Vanity Fair
- Some more about SOLID – Digital Trends
- Twitter is suspending millions of bots and fake accounts every day to fight disinformation – The Washington Post
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Gavin Williamson MP interrupted by Siri during Commons statement – BBC News
- ColorWare Releases Custom-Painted AirPods With Classic Macintosh Design for $399 – MacRumors
- Apple users immune to Fortnite hack malware – Cult of Mac
WORTH-A-CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- From @MacJim the free weather app Yr.no by NRK and on the App Store
- Inside the home of the world’s largest collection of rare Apple prototypes – CNBC
- Donny’s giveaway: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a set of codes for Rock Picks, Doodled Notes and 11 Kickers
- Don’t forget you can use your wired EarPods as a camera remote shutter button for your iPhone
Nemo’s Hardware Store (40:35)
- Witti Design Candi Wireless Charger – $30 US Direct. Amazon $30 US or £78 UK!!! (NOT from Witti I hasten to add). Get it from Amazon US, the shipping charges are only $12.50!
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.