The Essentially Interrupted Edition – Recorded 24th June 2018
For a change, I thought I would have a panel of guests and do a “round table” show. Everyone I asked seemed to be busy – England World Cup Game, Canadian Public Holidays, summertime family outings, vacations in the wilds – I thought I was going to be without any guests at all (hence the show title). Despite my initial fears however, I have garnered guests galore. I am pleased to welcome back Steve Hammond (@Stevehammond), Donny Yankellow (@rtteachr) and Nick Riley (@Spligosh) to help me delve into the multitude of stories that broke this week.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 free “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity.
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
On this week’s show:
- On Twitter as @rtteachr
- Donny’s Books
- Donny’s Website
- Donny on iBooks (Coming to the UK and Canada soon)
- Donny’s Sticker Packs (US, UK, Canada)
- Donny’s Junior Typer (US only)
- On Twitter as @spligosh
- Let’s Talk Apple Podcast
- Writer and reviewer on MyMac.com
- Computer geek and hobby photographer
- On Twitter as @stevehammond
- Thieves make off with $100k worth of Apple products after rappelling through Best Buy roof – 9to5Mac
- Why Apple’s AirPower Wireless Charger Is Taking So Long to Make – Bloomberg
- Apple finally acknowledges its new MacBook keyboards suck – Cult of Mac
- A hacker figured out how to brute force iPhone passcodes – ZDNet
- Apple iOS Passcode Crack Revealed by Security Researcher. Watch the Exploit in Action– Fortune
- BUT… Seems all may not be as first reported…
- macOS Quick Look flaw leaks encrypted data – Cult of Mac
- Facebook plans free training for small businesses struggling with user privacy – IT Pro
IN THE NEWS
- EU Toys With Blowing Up the Internet as We Know It – Popular Mechanics
- World’s tiniest ‘computer’ makes a grain of rice seem massive – Engadget
- Logitech’s school-targeted Crayon stylus is so good, Apple should copy it for iPad – CNET
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
WORTH-A-CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Donny’s giveaway – contact email@example.com for a set of codes for Rock Picks, Doodled Notes and 11 Kickers
- Copyright free pictures
- Free music and sounds
Nemo’s Hardware Store (35:18)
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.