Recorded 26th May 2018
This week GDPR happened… some US news sites decided they couldn’t be bothered figuring out what it meant and have basically just blocked off access from the EU (except that isn’t how GDPR works) while Microsoft and Apple have decided they will make GDPR compliance a global thing; because that is the right thing to do (and actually also it is the easiest solution).
News is surprisingly abundant as we run up to WWDC and there aren’t even any rumours/leaks of note regarding that!
To cast a jaundiced eye over it all I am joined by Alister Jenks, from quite literally the other side of the world to me – Wellington, New Zealand.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the malarkey!
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 free “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity.
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
On this week’s show:
- Apple is offering a free month of iCloud storage instead of just giving everybody a useable amount – The Verge
- Apple sent hundreds of engineers to Display Week to try and find the next notch – BGR
- Apple’s autonomous vehicle project may be closer to fruition than it appears – MacDailyNews
- Here’s Amazon’s explanation for the Alexa eavesdropping scandal – Recode
- What Yahoo’s NSA Surveillance Means for Email Privacy – ProtonMail Blog
- With even porn sites offering VPN, the three reasons Apple should do the same – 9to5 Mac
IN THE NEWS
Nemo’s Hardware Store (1:01:20)
- Macally Charger 61 – Amazon $70 US or £60 UK
- Macally MGRIPMAGXL 12in Magnetic Suction Cup Car Mount – Amazon $13 US or £18 UK
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.